SIG P320 Vs M&P 9 FS - MP-Pistol Forum

SIG P320 Vs M&P 9 FS

This is a discussion on SIG P320 Vs M&P 9 FS within the Autoloaders forums, part of the Armory category; I have a PC 9l and I'm thinking about changing to the SIG P320 RX, anyone have experience with both?...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Armory > Autoloaders

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2017, 03:17 AM   #1
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 122
SIG P320 Vs M&P 9 FS

I have a PC 9l and I'm thinking about changing to the SIG P320 RX, anyone have experience with both?
steved13 is offline  
Old March 11th, 2017, 07:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,087
The P320RX is VERY nice, but it feels and looks BIG compared to my M&P 9L...! You do have the option to change out the frame...sig surely did that right. Cudo`s to sig, if you scratch/ding/damage the frame, BAM, new one takes care of it. Even if you dont like the horrible stipple job you just did, and ruined the gun, again, BAM, new frame takes care of the hack job you did.

The red dot sig romeo is decent, but I would put your RM06 on the sig and call it a day. The sig romeo dosent co-witness very well, (just my opinion) but its not a deal breaker either.

The ROMEO 1 battery replacement, (bat cover on top...GREAT...!) yeah no big deal, just be careful when replacing the battery... the threads CAN strip out very easy. The battery cover can be a pain to get it on right, but surely doable. Do NOT over tighten... 10 inch pounds is the max torque on it. I highly recommend getting yourself a torque adjustable screwdriver. Its cheaper than a new red dot sight.

The accuracy is spot on with the sig, and right out of the box excellent accuracy. The trigger, well, its a sig. Its r-e-a-l good. The factory trigger surpasses the M&P by leaps and bounds. No surprise there. But you`ll have to get use to it. Might feel soft to some, but it DOES break clean. As for the take-up/pre-travel... typical stryker fire gun, yup, it has a fair amount of pre-travel. The re-set is short, very audible. Personally, i would like the trigger to return to re-set with some authority, just feels a little light & soft. Feels slow to react on re-set. Again, something to get use to.

Apex also has a couple triggers for it now too. One is rounded, the other one is a flat face trigger. I like the flat face trigger. Have not had a single issue with shooting it. It feeds anything i put in it. Seems to like my 124gr reloads the best. The P320RX is a very smooth shooter... but i still kept my M&P9L. Nuffin wrong with having 2 great guns in my arsenal...lol.

Only thing, and goes without saying, Just make sure you take it completely down and clean and lube it very well.
PaPow is offline  
Old March 11th, 2017, 07:51 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,087
Only one negative i have with the sig P320 vs the M&P 9L, i like the fact that i can change the grip inserts on my 9L. The sig, your stuck with whatever the frame gives you. This and that, tit for tat... just have to figure that out for yourself i guess. I love both guns... so, i cant really give you a better idea what works for you, i only know what works for me. You can do what i did as well, just own both...! lol
PaPow is offline  
 
Old March 11th, 2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 122
Thanks PaPow. I thought about the Palmswells but at $40 for a new frame (I know not as good as free palmswell) once I have the right size, I'm not likely to change it.

I keep hearing what a great shooter it is. I like my 9L and with the Apex it's probably just as good of a trigger, but I really like the SIG and a new toy is always nice. I wish I could afford to have both, but I know me and one would end up being the one I shot all the time anyway.
steved13 is offline  
Old March 11th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
Thanks PaPow. I thought about the Palmswells but at $40 for a new frame (I know not as good as free palmswell) once I have the right size, I'm not likely to change it.

I keep hearing what a great shooter it is. I like my 9L and with the Apex it's probably just as good of a trigger, but I really like the SIG and a new toy is always nice. I wish I could afford to have both, but I know me and one would end up being the one I shot all the time anyway.
Your absolutely right Steve... once the gun fits you, no changes are usually needed.

As for keeping both, or vs not affordable, save them pennies buddy. These P320`s aren`t going away anytime to soon. In the end, you`ll be glad you kept the 9L, just trust me on that. You`ll regret trading/selling it.

The biggest problem we`ve ALL gone thru, is always wanting that new shiny paint, gotta have it right now apptitude. Thank god i finally out grew that syndrome....lol. Now i just set a few bucks aside until i can buy what i want, rather than lose a ton of money on what i already own.

There are deals out there, shop around while saving up for it. And the prices will come down eventually while your saving up to buy it outright. By trading, these dealers will screw you by using the retail price against your trades. You`ll lose every time brother. It will never stop, until you realize how much you lose.
PaPow is offline  
Old March 11th, 2017, 08:47 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 2
Good info PaPow.
I'm glad I stumbled onto your converse with steved13
bahs1 is offline  
Old March 11th, 2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
Your absolutely right Steve... once the gun fits you, no changes are usually needed.

As for keeping both, or vs not affordable, save them pennies buddy. These P320`s aren`t going away anytime to soon. In the end, you`ll be glad you kept the 9L, just trust me on that. You`ll regret trading/selling it.

The biggest problem we`ve ALL gone thru, is always wanting that new shiny paint, gotta have it right now apptitude. Thank god i finally out grew that syndrome....lol. Now i just set a few bucks aside until i can buy what i want, rather than lose a ton of money on what i already own.

There are deals out there, shop around while saving up for it. And the prices will come down eventually while your saving up to buy it outright. By trading, these dealers will screw you by using the retail price against your trades. You`ll lose every time brother. It will never stop, until you realize how much you lose.
Believe me I've been around a good long while. I know how it works. I also have a gun shop who's a friend and deals almost entirely in used stuff. I wouldn't do too bad with him, and I might even sell it outright myself. The Trijicon, is a good commodity, and the other mod is the Apex FF trigger kit, which is also a mod most would like to have. The talon grips can come off if someone doesn't like those...so should be a pretty easy sale.

I could save and have both, but like I said, I'd end up only shooting one anyway. Still not sure if I'm going to make the switch, but thinking about it.

Thanks again for the info.
steved13 is offline  
Old March 11th, 2017, 10:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahs1 View Post
Good info PaPow.
I'm glad I stumbled onto your converse with steved13
Thank you bahs, i dont claim huge knowledge about everything, just what i gain from my own experiences. If it can help one single person decide which side to fall on, good.

I know from my own past experiences, i`ve made some very poor decisions, and lost huge amounts of money along the way. Now i just keep my guns, and save for what i want now. I`ve also learned valuable lessons, buy GOOD quality the first time, it will save you a ton of money and frustrations over the long haul. And i NEVER buy first production year guns... just plain common sense to let them get the bugs worked out. Growing pains, ALL companies have them, brand name makes no difference... some are just better at it than others. There is nothing worse than to have a company just throw something out there on the market due to greed. Nobody on either side will win with that kind of business practice... just ask remington arms.

Even SIG had issues with the P938 first year out... i know because i fell into the shiny new paint syndrome, had to have it cause it was a SIG...!!!! The P938 main spring and housing had issues... the gun would double tap a couple rounds accidentally. They have it fixed now. Any of them that were built previous to july 2015, needs to be sent back to SIG and have the updated main spring and housing installed.

As well, SIG also changed the frames "again" on the P320`s. Now they have an updated frame that wont allow you to use the previous slide lock lever. Do the homework before buying the P320, because every sig dealer i`ve talked to dosen`t even know they changed the frames again.
PaPow is offline  
Old March 11th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
Believe me I've been around a good long while. I know how it works. I also have a gun shop who's a friend and deals almost entirely in used stuff. I wouldn't do too bad with him, and I might even sell it outright myself. The Trijicon, is a good commodity, and the other mod is the Apex FF trigger kit, which is also a mod most would like to have. The talon grips can come off if someone doesn't like those...so should be a pretty easy sale.

I could save and have both, but like I said, I'd end up only shooting one anyway. Still not sure if I'm going to make the switch, but thinking about it.

Thanks again for the info.
Steve,
just my own personal advice my friend, do you know anyone who has a P320 that would let you try it out on the range...???? Reason i ask is, this might change your thoughts on you wanting or not wanting one.

The P320 is ALOT different than the 9L, trust me on that. I wish you were close by, i would let you take mine for a week and give it a good test drive. I`m not trying to detour you, i`m just letting you know that the expectations are different than reality.

PaPowwwww
PaPow is offline  
Old March 11th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #10
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
Steve,
just my own personal advice my friend, do you know anyone who has a P320 that would let you try it out on the range...???? Reason i ask is, this might change your thoughts on you wanting or not wanting one.

The P320 is ALOT different than the 9L, trust me on that. I wish you were close by, i would let you take mine for a week and give it a good test drive. I`m not trying to detour you, i`m just letting you know that the expectations are different than reality.

PaPowwwww

I wish I did. I will find one for rent before I take the plunge. Haven't found a rental yet, but one will come up I'm sure.
steved13 is offline  
Old March 11th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
I wish I did. I will find one for rent before I take the plunge. Haven't found a rental yet, but one will come up I'm sure.
Steve,
one thing i forgot to mention.... when changing to different frames on the P320`s, they will shoot with a little different feel when changing to different frames. Take notice of that if you find a rental unit. I noticed a difference when going from the compact frames to the fullsize. Some say i`m crazy to say that, but they are likely not as experienced vs the yrs i`ve been shooting handguns of all makes models calibers.
PaPow is offline  
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 122
Thanks again for the info. I picked up the P320 RX full size, today. 500 flawless rounds later and I'm very pleased with it. Still have my M&P 9L ported with the Trijicon, but will put it up for sale very soon.

steved13 is offline  
Old March 13th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind the tree
Posts: 1,117
Can you option the Mont Blanc with a stippled grip ?
mp9werks is online now  
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #14
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9werks View Post
Can you option the Mont Blanc with a stippled grip ?
steved13 is offline  
Old March 13th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
Thanks again for the info. I picked up the P320 RX full size, today. 500 flawless rounds later and I'm very pleased with it. Still have my M&P 9L ported with the Trijicon, but will put it up for sale very soon.
Wowwwwwwww VERY nice Steve...!
I see its the updated frame too...! How you tell its the updated frame is, the new frame has the full U shaped guard around the slide stop lever. The first gen frames did not have the U guarded slide stop. First gen frames barely had a nub under the slide stop lever. You cant swap frames between the first vs second gen frames with calling sig and getting the correct slide stop lever either.

Note the differences between the two slide stop levers and the differences between the area around the slide stops. The levers do NOT interchange.
Left pic: Gen 1 Frame
Right pic: Gen 2 Frame
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sig Gen 1 Frame.jpg (264.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Sig Gen 2 Frame.jpg (56.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by PaPow; March 13th, 2017 at 10:14 PM.
PaPow is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Armory > Autoloaders

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full size M&P .45 sights/ optics.... hilaryforpresNOT MP Full Size Pistols 8 April 6th, 2017 05:02 PM
Want to buy a M&P 9mm or .40 richg1 MP Full Size Pistols 23 January 7th, 2017 11:53 AM
M&P Shield 8rd Magazine for 9mm $17 Corsar66 Deals 1 January 1st, 2017 10:27 AM
WTS - Ameriglo Pro i-Dot U-Notch Sights for S&W M&P Full-Size and M&P Shield Dave707 Classifieds 3 October 21st, 2016 08:58 PM
New to M&P, advice on my new M&P 9. 9MP MP Full Size Pistols 37 October 16th, 2016 11:27 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.