Good LEO Stop Of A OC'er - MP-Pistol Forum

Good LEO Stop Of A OC'er

This is a discussion on Good LEO Stop Of A OC'er within the Law Enforcement forums, part of the Armory category; Nice to see a policeman get it right, Semper Fi. [video=youtube;ZFzH5Oe-YL4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFzH5Oe-YL4[/video]...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Armory > Law Enforcement

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: State of Mass confusion
Posts: 1,492
Nice to see a policeman get it right, Semper Fi.



[video=youtube;ZFzH5Oe-YL4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFzH5Oe-YL4[/video]
myst40 is offline  
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
dhunley1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,377
If only they were all like this.
dhunley1 is offline  
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #3
bralko85
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
This is Oceanside, CA? Where's the logic requiring people who OC to carry without a magazine in the pistol? Might as well make them carry it field stripped in a Ziploc bag.



And on a related issue, with this being the law there, why would (or does) anyone carry openly in lieu of concealment?



Would anyone living in CA who knows or actually carries this way please shed some light on this for me?



Edited to add that the officer handled it rather well. Not sure I like the theatrics at the end, but all-in-all a solid interaction.
 
 
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #4
TOF
Senior Member
 
TOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mesa Arizona
Posts: 2,984
I don't believe the officer handled it well at all. There should not have been any questions asked by the Officer without RAS. If there had been the conversation would have been quite different.



I am glad I live in Arizona where you can walk through a platoon of police officers with 1 or more guns in view and never be questioned at all. They might say thats a nice looking pistol or similar but not the nonsense shown in the video.
TOF is offline  
Old July 21st, 2011, 04:49 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOF View Post
I don't believe the officer handled it well at all. There should not have been any questions asked by the Officer without RAS. If there had been the conversation would have been quite different.



I am glad I live in Arizona where you can walk through a platoon of police officers with 1 or more guns in view and never be questioned at all. They might say thats a nice looking pistol or similar but not the nonsense shown in the video.




I don't see it as a problem that he asked. You have the right not to answer. Seems like an ideal vs reality sort of situation.
RightCoastBiased is offline  
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:05 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 69
In PA, this type of stop is illegal. The officer has no reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime has been or will be committed by the carrier, and is therefore in violation of the EDIT: PA law to disarm him and search the weapon. I hope I never live in a state where this type of behavior is considered "good".
TheWolff is offline  
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:13 AM   #7
bralko85
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
How about living in a state that requires you to carry an empty pistol? I still can't believe this.
 
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM   #8
 
infiniti2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Greenwood, Mo
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bralko85 View Post
This is Oceanside, CA? Where's the logic requiring people who OC to carry without a magazine in the pistol?


If I remember right the law in CA is that open carried is allowed as long as the magazine isn't in the pistol. I remember hearing a bunch of OC guys going to a Starbucks there and the catch was they all were without mags in the pistol.



As for the logic behind it, I guess having it with out a magazine in it is better than not having it at all.
infiniti2112 is offline  
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
KRWeiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,110
I can't get past the erroneous concept of a "Good LEO Stop Of A OC'er". How is it a good when a law abiding citizen is stopped without cause. The only thing that was good about this is the OC'er response to the officers inappropriate and baseless questioning, except for the part where he was physically disarmed by an armed government.
KRWeiss is offline  
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:39 AM   #10
bralko85
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniti2112 View Post
As for the logic behind it, I guess having it with out a magazine in it is better than not having it at all.


California is a one of those "May Issue" states so for some people OCing an unloaded weapon is the only choice. Otherwise, conceal it.



What is the ratio of CPL applications to actual issued permits? It must be poor.



Is OC in California exercised only by people who can't get a CPL?? If you can't legally carry concealed, then maybe OC unloaded is better than nothing.



In California LEOs are legally allowed to stop you and check to see if your open carry is unloaded. That legal option, in addition to the calls received from "concerned" citizens (if there were any, of course), gives them cause to follow up with the guy. Whether people think it's inappropriate or baseless really doesn't matter. This is their law.
 
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
KRWeiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by bralko85 View Post
Whether people think it's inappropriate or baseless really doesn't matter. This is their law.


That's an odd statment. He didn't answer the innappropriate questions (e.g. name? "I'll say it's... Jeremy", ID? "I don't have it") and yet wasn't arrested. And it certainly does matter what people think, the people own the government, but I'm not suprised you see it differently. BTW, it's no longer my law since I no longer live there.
KRWeiss is offline  
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:11 PM   #12
bralko85
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWeiss View Post
That's an odd statment. He didn't answer the innappropriate questions (e.g. name? "I'll say it's... Jeremy", ID? "I don't have it") and yet wasn't arrested. And it certainly does matter what people think, the people own the government, but I'm not suprised you see it differently. BTW, it's no longer my law since I no longer live there.




Why are you not surprised? Do not assume that you know me.



He didn't answer the questions because he isn't required by law to do so. He wasn't arrested because he wasn't committing any crime. What's hard to understand about that? The officer stopped him because it is legal for them to do so.



It doesn't matter what you or I think, what matters is that currently in California it is legal for that officer to do what he did. Obviously a majority of the population agrees that this legislation is acceptable, so what a dissenting minority (or those of us who do not live within the applicable jurisdictions) thinks holds no sway.



I don't find the laws requiring the use of seatbelts acceptable, but since they exist as LAWS, my THOUGHTS don't mean horsesh#t. I don't think anyone should be required to obtain licenses to carry weapons, but because the laws say we do, then we do. Get it?
 
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:00 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: State of Mass confusion
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWeiss View Post
I can't get past the erroneous concept of a "Good LEO Stop Of A OC'er". How is it a good when a law abiding citizen is stopped without cause. The only thing that was good about this is the OC'er response to the officers inappropriate and baseless questioning, except for the part where he was physically disarmed by an armed government.


I see your point Weiss, poor choice of title words on my part. My bad. Living in the Commiewealth of Mass I tend to forget that their are free Americans in other states with a hell of a lot more gun rights then me. In Mass this would be considered a "good stop".
myst40 is offline  
Old July 21st, 2011, 04:37 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
KRWeiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,110
No problem Myst40, I guess it's all a matter of perspective. In Idaho I can OC in a bank and no one takes a second look, but living in Orange County, CA the thought of putting my 2nd amendment rights into practice was completely foreign to me.
KRWeiss is offline  
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:31 PM   #15
Member
 
vegas-shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 164
I get infuriated when I think about hoe neutered some states have allowed themselves to become.



I don't OC for tactical reasons and prefer concealing. There have been incidents in Las Vegas with the police with people both OC and CCWing. They may disarm you illegally and remove your ammo during a traffic stop because they get paranoid. We had one young man get shot down in front of the Costco near my house because a Costco staff member called police because he was printing or showing.



It's not a smooth relationship but we are not backing down and the police are being kept on their toes by activists that publicize poor treatment of gun owners.
vegas-shooter is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Armory > Law Enforcement


Search tags for this page

good stop of oc'er

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mags @ Greg Cote; Got Quick, Good Service and Good Price CatnPhx MP Pistol Accessories 13 February 12th, 2011 06:33 PM
Stop me! Navy87Guy MP Full Size Pistols 12 April 8th, 2008 12:31 PM
Good deal on good bullets KRWeiss MP Ammunition 12 March 12th, 2008 05:33 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.