Shield and Gold dot 124 std pressure - MP-Pistol Forum

Shield and Gold dot 124 std pressure

This is a discussion on Shield and Gold dot 124 std pressure within the MP Ammunition forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; I just received my Shield and am very happy. I also received some Lawman in 124gr. and some Gold dot 124gr, std. pressure. My idea ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP Ammunition

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: los angeles
Posts: 8
Shield and Gold dot 124 std pressure

I just received my Shield and am very happy.
I also received some Lawman in 124gr. and some Gold dot 124gr, std. pressure.

My idea was that both would be similar in feel and that it would be ideal for training.

I didn't factor in the shorter length of the barrel and the loss in velocity. I am a bit worried about over penetration.

Am I overthinking this?
Shall I replace with HST 124gr. or similar?

Thanks.
mnhoj is offline  
Old October 9th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhoj View Post
I just received my Shield and am very happy.
I also received some Lawman in 124gr. and some Gold dot 124gr, std. pressure.

My idea was that both would be similar in feel and that it would be ideal for training.

I didn't factor in the shorter length of the barrel and the loss in velocity. I am a bit worried about over penetration.

Am I overthinking this?

Thanks.
Yeah; probably.
Rick M is offline  
Old October 9th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: WA
Posts: 197
The standard pressure Gold Dots are not on Dr. Gary Roberts' list and ShootingTheBull410 had two complete failures in testing with a 3" pistol. I recommend going with something else.
BennyRayRiddle is offline  
 
Old October 10th, 2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: los angeles
Posts: 8
Thanks guys.
I messaged Speer and they said,

"you will lose some velocity, but to some extent balanced by the distance to the target, if needed, will be short."

Instead of losing money on selling or trading, I'll probably keep them for a full sized pistol later.
There's someone close to me selling some 147 HSTs. Might give those a try. From what I've read they seem to be OK for the short barrels.
mnhoj is offline  
Old October 10th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #5
Member
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 318
Shield and Gold dot 124 std pressure

You're not trying to shoot 100 yds, so I'm not clear on Speer's statement. In fact, I don't even understand Speer's sentence. What will "be short"? The bullet will stop short of the target? Or do they mean a small reduction in velocity at the target because the distance is short?

Any HST are good performers out of the Shield.

Last edited by AgentOrange; October 10th, 2015 at 11:03 AM.
AgentOrange is offline  
Old October 10th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: los angeles
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
You're not trying to shoot 100 yds, so I'm not clear on Speer's statement. In fact, I don't even understand Speer's sentence. What will "be short"? The bullet will stop short of the target? Or do they mean a small reduction in velocity at the target because the distance is short?

Any HST are good performers out of the Shield.
I took it as a no, it's not the best performer out of a shorter barrel but most likely you'll be shooting at point blank so you'll probably be ok.

Oh well. I kinda like the idea of shooting the 147s.
mnhoj is offline  
Old October 10th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
KRWeiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,105
From a short barreled pistol, why not use Speer's "Short Barrel" ammo. Same recoil as Lawman with a wider hollow point for proper expansion at lower velocities.
KRWeiss is offline  
Old October 10th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #8
G56
Site Staff
 
G56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 8,823
This is what I carry in my Shield.

Ammo Quest 9mm: Federal HST 124 grain tested in ballistic gelatin test review

https://youtu.be/-lGqdMdbir0

These are also available in 50 round boxes intended for law enforcement use, here's a 50 round box for about the same price as 20 or 25 you see most of the time. A number of us have done business with this company and are very happy with their service.

50 rd box - 9mm Federal HST 124gr HP hollow point LE ammo P9HST1 - limit 5 | SGAmmo.com
G56 is offline  
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:56 AM   #9
Member
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 318
^ Yup, that's the ticket. SGAmmo is awesome.
AgentOrange is offline  
Old October 11th, 2015, 07:00 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: los angeles
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWeiss View Post
From a short barreled pistol, why not use Speer's "Short Barrel" ammo. Same recoil as Lawman with a wider hollow point for proper expansion at lower velocities.
I think this will be my solution. Thank you.
I didn't realize the SB's were a bullet redesign.
I thought they were a rebadged +P.

Perfect.
mnhoj is offline  
Old October 11th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: los angeles
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by G56 View Post
This is what I carry in my Shield.

Ammo Quest 9mm: Federal HST 124 grain tested in ballistic gelatin test review

https://youtu.be/-lGqdMdbir0

These are also available in 50 round boxes intended for law enforcement use, here's a 50 round box for about the same price as 20 or 25 you see most of the time. A number of us have done business with this company and are very happy with their service.

50 rd box - 9mm Federal HST 124gr HP hollow point LE ammo P9HST1 - limit 5 | SGAmmo.com
Thank you.
I purchased the Speer ammo from there and a few orders of .45.
Really like that shop.
mnhoj is offline  
Old November 3rd, 2015, 12:42 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Viking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhoj View Post
I just received my Shield and am very happy.
I also received some Lawman in 124gr. and some Gold dot 124gr, std. pressure.

My idea was that both would be similar in feel and that it would be ideal for training.

I didn't factor in the shorter length of the barrel and the loss in velocity. I am a bit worried about over penetration.

Am I overthinking this?
Shall I replace with HST 124gr. or similar?

Thanks.
The main problem with using the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain in the M&P Shield is not going to be under penetration, so much as reduced expansion. I would recommend that you use the Federal Tactical HST in your M&P Shield.
Viking is offline  
Old November 3rd, 2015, 06:48 PM   #13
Member
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
The main problem with using the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain in the M&P Shield is not going to be under penetration, so much as reduced expansion. I would recommend that you use the Federal Tactical HST in your M&P Shield.

HST is amazingly consistent in expansion. It's all I have now for SD.
AgentOrange is offline  
Old November 4th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #14
Zgo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Az
Posts: 4
I carried speers for longest time. Just recently switched to federal 124 +p and man are they nice..also substantial less recoil surprisingly than standard pressure gold dots. Pretty impressive and have very good expansion.
Zgo is offline  
Old November 5th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Viking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgo View Post
I carried speers for longest time. Just recently switched to federal 124 +p and man are they nice..also substantial less recoil surprisingly than standard pressure gold dots. Pretty impressive and have very good expansion.
Federal makes good products. The Winchester Ranger T is another good option, but I don't know how they would perform in a M&P Shield barrel.
Viking is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP Ammunition


Search tags for this page

gold dot 9mm 124 grain m&p shield

,

gold dot 9mm 124gr or gold dot 124gr p in a smith and wesson shield forum

,

m&p shield gold dot velocity

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
9mm shield or pot of gold Firefly37 New Users 6 August 17th, 2012 02:24 PM
SOLD: Laser Devices OTAL with standard mount and 6 pressure pad, $400.00 shipped. Walker Classifieds 2 October 20th, 2008 04:07 PM
Federal 9mm HST Pressure Highlander MP Ammunition 7 January 21st, 2008 07:07 AM
MX3 light w/ pressure switch ss600r MP Pistol Accessories 0 December 3rd, 2007 06:09 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.