Safety or no safety? - Page 2 - MP-Pistol Forum

Safety or no safety?

This is a discussion on Safety or no safety? within the MP Compact Pistols forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; Here's a Police "instructor" who shoots himself, during a safety briefing, that didn't respect muzzle direction when handling a firearm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw-jTCNZSmY...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP Compact Pistols

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2016, 02:12 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind the tree
Posts: 1,103
Here's a Police "instructor" who shoots himself, during a safety briefing, that didn't respect muzzle direction when handling a firearm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw-jTCNZSmY

Last edited by mp9werks; May 16th, 2016 at 02:15 AM.
mp9werks is offline  
Old May 16th, 2016, 05:30 AM   #17
Member
 
Nick1946's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 n out View Post
While many use this reasoning for no saftey, it may also be an argument for a safety since you can't trust yourself to not just pull the trigger. It is not the time or loss of it I don't think that matters since many cops carry a gun with a holster snap. It is the manual possession of the gun that is going to protect you in most cases not the ability to do a Marshall Dillion fast draw.

This is a well known video of what happens to a person under a little stress and she was trained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfNV9bJoSg
Dude, I'm probably the last person you want to hear from. You have received a lot of responses on this, Buy a gun-don't buy a gun. Buy a gun with manual safety lever-or don't buy a gun with one. The choice is yours and it seems you can come up with an argument no matter who says what.
Nick1946 is offline  
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: florida
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1946 View Post
Dude, I'm probably the last person you want to hear from. You have received a lot of responses on this, Buy a gun-don't buy a gun. Buy a gun with manual safety lever-or don't buy a gun with one. The choice is yours and it seems you can come up with an argument no matter who says what.
Although the conversation has gone in a few directions, but that is the nature of brain storming, that is why you pose a question. The actual point was and I have already solved it for myself, was to buy the M&P 9c with or without a safety. Regardless of your need, what seems to be the most practical to buy with a safety.

It is easily removed if you decide to do so (but can't be added) and I just got off the phone with S&W and they are sending me the plugs free of charge. It may even give the gun a little more resale value should you decide to sell it since it can be used either way by the new owner. Discussion is not argument unless you choose to take it that way. This subject has no right answer and it is easy to objectively see either side.

Last edited by 8 n out; May 16th, 2016 at 08:10 AM.
8 n out is offline  
 
Old May 16th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #19
Member
 
GTownGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 305
To answer the original question, take a file to it and file it down some. I cannot find a aftermarket safety. On my 1911 I filed the sharp edges and then actually reduced the size of the safety to be more comfortable. I don't know what the S&W safety is made out of but if its a metal part and bit of black magic marker or bluing will take the shine off. Good luck and I have no problem with you wanting a safety on your handgun.
GTownGeorge is offline  
Old May 16th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1
I own both.
My Glocks don't have a manual safety, my S&W Shield and Ruger SR45 and 9E do.
When I carry any of them, the safety is off.
I will sometimes engage it when I'm holstering it. It's an added measure of safety.
But as soon as it's holstered, I thumb the safety off.
Lockback is offline  
Old May 16th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: florida
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTownGeorge View Post
To answer the original question, take a file to it and file it down some. I cannot find a aftermarket safety. On my 1911 I filed the sharp edges and then actually reduced the size of the safety to be more comfortable. I don't know what the S&W safety is made out of but if its a metal part and bit of black magic marker or bluing will take the shine off. Good luck and I have no problem with you wanting a safety on your handgun.
It is metal covered in plastic. S&W today told me where to get a replacement safety. That way I can experiment. I plan on removing the wing in the right side all together and take down the one on the left so it is not so intrusive.
You might find your part here

http://www.brownells.com

I also ordered extra back straps from ebay so I can experiment on them also. They were only $9.00 with free shipping.
8 n out is offline  
Old May 16th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #22
Member
 
kdweaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 325
A single action 1911 needs a safety. No need for a thumb safety on a striker fired pistol. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
kdweaver is offline  
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #23
Member
 
k2ue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victor, NY
Posts: 54
[QUOTE=8 n out;438025] you can't trust yourself to not just pull the trigger.

Or to wipe the safety off. . . So besides "life's a bitch and then you die", what is your point?
k2ue is offline  
Old June 25th, 2016, 04:38 AM   #24
Member
 
flowrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 33
All of my MP's have safety's, because I am an old 1911 guy. Just comfortable with the safety, muscle memory I guess. I would go with whatever you are most confident and comfortable with.
flowrie is offline  
Old June 25th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 18
I recently purchased a 9c and went with the safety as I've been primarily carrying single-action autos for many years. Unfortunately, I found that when carrying the 9c the safety would rub into my waist, and sometimes even be clicked off by the movement. So I just went ahead and removed it and plugged the holes.

I'd say get the safety, it's an easy fix if you don't like it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KingGuns is offline  
Old June 26th, 2016, 09:41 AM   #26
Member
 
SouthernBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 95
I don't want, nor do I have, any of my carry guns with an externally settable safety... with the exception of one. If I ever have to use my sidearm, all I want to think about is "pulling and pulling" (pulling my gun and pulling the trigger) as quickly and successfully as possible. That is how I train and that is how I carry.

The one exception is one of my M&P 9 Shields, which is the Shield that lives in my primary carry stable. It does have an external safety and that is the way I wanted that gun. The reason is due to the fact that it can potentially get transferred from its holster to a pouch or pocket under certain circumstances and therefore, the safety has merit. However when I carry it normally, as in its holster, that safety is not engaged so the gun then serves my as do my other carry guns.
SouthernBoy is offline  
Old December 10th, 2016, 01:59 PM   #27
Member
 
JohnnyBravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 59
I like the safety on my Shield a lot.

The Shield is small with a relatively strong recoil spring and the safety gives me another layer of protection when loading and unloading the gun.
JohnnyBravo is offline  
Old December 10th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye250 View Post
As has been said before, the best safety is between one's ears....the brain. However, being human, we make mistakes....we are imperfect. So a safety on a pistol is an added measure of safety when engaged....as is a holster that covers the trigger.

A person that I know had his Glock 26 in his front pants pocket along with his car keys. When he grabbed his car keys and gave a tug to bring them out of his pocket....well.....he is expected to make a full recovery from his injuries.
I rarely pocket carry, but when I do, it's with a pocket holster, and nothing else EVER in the pocket the gun is in.

I'd say that the guy with the g26 broke both of those primary "rules" of pocket carry.
Rick M is offline  
Old December 11th, 2016, 05:51 AM   #29
Member
 
JohnnyBravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 59
There really is no definitive answer to this question and like the caliber debates it often degenerates into a "my way or the highway argument."

I think the biggest problem with relying on a thumb safety to prevent a negligent discharge is that most are caused by someone deliberately pulling the trigger. They seem to happen most often to people who fail to properly clear the gun before cleaning it, dry firing it, or who are playing quick draw with it.

The holes in the ceiling baffles and chips in the floor of indoor ranges also attest to people having their finger on the trigger when they shouldn't.

The old, "On target on trigger, off target off trigger can't be emphasized enough."

None the less, I prefer a thumb safety. As I said in an earlier post in this thread I think it enhances safety when administratively loading, unloading, and otherwise handling the weapon.

As for the safety on the Shield, to me it is only good for the mentioned administrative handling and holstering. It's too small to be anything but an encumbrance during an emergency.

I like a safety like the one on my 1911's and my M&P 45c. Big enough to easily manipulate and provides a nice shelf to rest my thumb. Furthermore the safety stays engaged right up until the time the gun comes on target. That's just the way I naturally do it and since my time from holster to target isn't slowed (verified with a timer), I have never felt the need to change.

Well that's my wordy take on it and it's nothing more that my informed opinion. Others with the same information will come to a different conclusion.

Just pay attention to what you are doing and be safe out there.
JohnnyBravo is offline  
Old December 12th, 2016, 08:54 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
I rarely pocket carry, but when I do, it's with a pocket holster, and nothing else EVER in the pocket the gun is in.

I'd say that the guy with the g26 broke both of those primary "rules" of pocket carry.
1) Absolutely Agree....!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) Once again, theres another dumbass that shouldnt even carry a weapon...
he`s fuggin luckly that THAT is all that happened.
PaPow is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP Compact Pistols

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thumb safety compatible holsters and spare thumb safety? topsykretts MP Compact Pistols 5 February 17th, 2014 06:46 PM
.45 safety vs non-safety sear block Woffar MP Gunsmithing 0 February 2nd, 2013 04:50 PM
Thumb safety frame W/ non safety slide? smokintonye MP Gunsmithing 2 September 26th, 2011 06:37 AM
M&P 45 Compact; no mag saftey, sooo Thumb safety, or no safety? Gamisou MP Compact Pistols 6 September 9th, 2008 06:50 AM
Is the M&P45's safety a direct drop-in for non-safety M&P45's??? nickdrak MP Gunsmithing 5 August 6th, 2008 02:43 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.