M&P Shield 40 with 40-9 Conversion Barrel - MP-Pistol Forum

M&P Shield 40 with 40-9 Conversion Barrel

This is a discussion on M&P Shield 40 with 40-9 Conversion Barrel within the MP Pictures forums, part of the Multimedia category; IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0658.JPG...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Multimedia > MP Pictures

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
TruePrecision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6
M&P Shield 40 with 40-9 Conversion Barrel

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG
TruePrecision is offline  
Old March 17th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,312
How does the .40 slide work with going to a 9mm case (????)
I would think you would have case extraction issues...no...???

I`m looking for just a plain non-ported barrel for a 9mm shield if you know of any.
PaPow is offline  
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
KRWeiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,107
No reported extraction issues with the "True Precision" M&P Shield 40-9 conversion barrel, nor any other 40-9 conversion available for the M&P line of pistols, unless you count the $200+ they extract from your wallet.

Nice "tea cup" grip on that pistol, rarely see that anymore (except in the movies). No wonder you needed a Ransom Rest to shoot 3" groups. Too much?
KRWeiss is offline  
 
Old March 18th, 2017, 05:08 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
How does the .40 slide work with going to a 9mm case (????)
I would think you would have case extraction issues...no...???

I`m looking for just a plain non-ported barrel for a 9mm shield if you know of any.
While it works, I am on my third extractor. The extractor is not centered on the 9mm case.

The top part of the extractor hook gets chipped off. I noticed it when cleaning and I replaced it. I noticed it again, replaced it. Currently it is chipped right now, but still cycles. I am not going to change it until I see extraction failures.

The above gun is a range toy only. It has always extracted, but I would be leery of it for EDC.

Larry
lhawkins is offline  
Old March 18th, 2017, 05:34 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: None of your business
Posts: 222
M&P Shield 40 with 40-9 Conversion Barrel

200 for a conversion barrel and then 3 extractors that cost whatever so you can save a few pennies a round.

Heck you can buy a 9mm handgun for a little more than the 200 barrel

I have a hard time seeing any benefit/savings to doing it.

I guess I am dense.

Virtually ever thread I see regarding this is filled with posts of the problems etc.

Oh well I will shoot 40 from my 40 and yall can chase this rabbit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas45 is offline  
Old March 18th, 2017, 05:47 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas45 View Post
200 for a conversion barrel and then 3 extractors that cost whatever so you can save a few pennies a round.

Heck you can buy a 9mm handgun for a little more than the 200 barrel

I have a hard time seeing any benefit/savings to doing it.

I guess I am dense.

Virtually ever thread I see regarding this is filled with posts of the problems etc.

Oh well I will shoot 40 from my 40 and yall can chase this rabbit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my M&P Pro CORE before the prices are what they are today. I had every intention of putting an RMR on it.

So if you add all the costs to this gun

Apex trigger kit
Apex RAM
RMR
Dawson Sights

Then a $170 barrel made sense than to incur all those costs over again for a second gun caliber.

Would I go down that route again, no. In fact since the above conversion gun, I have purchased 2 more full size M&P's and a Shield, all in 9. I only have one other gun in 40.

I may remove the Apex conversion barrel and shoot 40 out it only for USPSA. Easier/safer to make major in .40 than hot rodded 9. I shoot defensive pistol now, so no major/minor classes.

Larry
lhawkins is offline  
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
KRWeiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawkins View Post
While it works, I am on my third extractor. The extractor is not centered on the 9mm case.


Larry
Three broken extractors, and you're blaming that on a barrel that hasn't even shipped yet?
KRWeiss is offline  
Old March 19th, 2017, 04:12 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWeiss View Post
Three broken extractors, and you're blaming that on a barrel that hasn't even shipped yet?
No, I am blaming it on the Storm Lake conversion barrel. However, any 40 to 9 conversion barrel will most likely suffer from the same geometric differences between the radius of the cartridge and the center line of the bore and where the extractor hits a 40 vs 9 rim.

I guess it is possible this yet to be released conversion barrel is machined in such a manner as the chamber is moved slightly up or down in relation to the slide breach face, but that will also mean the barrel will need to be slightly off center as well.

My post was not meant to disparage a yet to be released product, but rather my issues running a conversion barrel in a high shooting volume firearm. Those chipped extractors are note a figment of my imagination, but the chip does not seem to make the firearm fail.
lhawkins is offline  
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,312
I gotta agree with texas45, (and THAT dont happen often...lol) "ya`ll chase that rabbit" is exactly my thoughts as well.
I`ve never thought it to be a good idea to go Frankenstein on converting .40/9mm calibers.

I would at least buy the "proper slide" for the caliber being used.
There is no way to convince "me", that the 9mm case aligns properly in a .40cal slide.

The ONLY pistol conversion that i think works without a hitch, is the .40cal to 357sig.

Just sayin....
PaPow is offline  
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:04 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
KRWeiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawkins View Post
No, I am blaming it on the Storm Lake conversion barrel.
Weird. You must shoot yours a LOT more than I did.

I only had 33,000 rounds through my Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel before I switched brands, but never noticed any chips on the extractor. Worse yet, I almost always drop the slide without a mag, on a chambered round, to make it 15+1.
KRWeiss is offline  
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWeiss View Post
Weird. You must shoot yours a LOT more than I did.

I only had 33,000 rounds through my Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel before I switched brands, but never noticed any chips on the extractor. Worse yet, I almost always drop the slide without a mag, on a chambered round, to make it 15+1.
Might be the chamber tightness of my SL barrel, some other geometrical difference, or even my ammo putting more force on the extractor than yours.

Maybe even I have the bad luck of some weak extractors. First one that broke was factory. Second one was OEM.

Although I have swapped 2 extractors, I left the last chipped one in the slide and just run it. It still throws brass. All of the chipped ones still functioned.

I have not bothered round counting, but I shoot one match week with it in the winter, but maybe several weekly matches in the summer shooting season. Then whatever practice I get in. I doubt I have 33K through it.

I still like the SL products, but I got another long 9 and will throw the 40 back in it and start shooting USPSA to make major.
lhawkins is offline  
Old April 19th, 2017, 05:58 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: LV
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawkins View Post
While it works, I am on my third extractor. The extractor is not centered on the 9mm case.

The top part of the extractor hook gets chipped off. I noticed it when cleaning and I replaced it. I noticed it again, replaced it. Currently it is chipped right now, but still cycles. I am not going to change it until I see extraction failures.

The above gun is a range toy only. It has always extracted, but I would be leery of it for EDC.

Larry
I know you mentioned not counting anymore, but do you have an estimate on the rounds between extractor failures? 5k? 10k?

I kept an eye on the extractor for chips on my Sig 40 with a 9mm barrel. The extractor looks fine right now though but probably not nearly enough rounds as you've shot.. I'm back and forth on the 40-9 conversion idea but can't help but consider the Shield in 40 as a second Shield since I shoot better with my 40 than 9 currently (or it might be a DA/SA vs striker thing).

Only issues I had on my Sig putting a 9mm barrel in it was the casings would eject in odd directions (popping out to the left of the slide for ex)
greeenteeee is offline  
Old April 25th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeenteeee View Post
I know you mentioned not counting anymore, but do you have an estimate on the rounds between extractor failures? 5k? 10k?

I kept an eye on the extractor for chips on my Sig 40 with a 9mm barrel. The extractor looks fine right now though but probably not nearly enough rounds as you've shot.. I'm back and forth on the 40-9 conversion idea but can't help but consider the Shield in 40 as a second Shield since I shoot better with my 40 than 9 currently (or it might be a DA/SA vs striker thing).

Only issues I had on my Sig putting a 9mm barrel in it was the casings would eject in odd directions (popping out to the left of the slide for ex)
Probably between 1-5 K. Maybe just a couple of hundred. I did not notice any performance issues. I only noticed the chip during cleaning. The current extractor in the slide right now is chipped and runs without issue. It has been that way for months.
lhawkins is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Multimedia > MP Pictures


Search tags for this page

true precision shield 9mm barrel

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTS- Apex FSS trigger kit and Storm lake 5 inch M&P conversion barrel carterjs Classifieds 0 February 10th, 2017 05:02 PM
Storm Lake Conversion barrel, orange base pads and plates richiecotite Classifieds 2 December 26th, 2016 12:18 AM
KKM 40 to 9 conversion barrel review LoneStarWings MP Range Reports 2 September 11th, 2016 04:27 PM
M&P 45 Shield Mags- Sticky followers theneko MP SHIELD Pistols 5 July 29th, 2016 09:02 AM
Brand New Storm Lake 357 Sig barrel - 5" M&P slide - $130 shipped! WICKED07 Classifieds 2 July 1st, 2016 07:03 AM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.