For those with FS9s having accuracy problems... - MP-Pistol Forum

For those with FS9s having accuracy problems...

This is a discussion on For those with FS9s having accuracy problems... within the MP Pistol Tech Help forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; Give Smith a call and let them know. I had heard of people having accuracy problems but didn't really pay much attention to the conversations ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP Pistol Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Member
 
XxMerlinxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 160
Give Smith a call and let them know.



I had heard of people having accuracy problems but didn't really pay much attention to the conversations as I've been doing fine with mine. By fine, I mean I've been placing pretty well in the shooting competitions that I go to and practicing at the range. I haven't shot my FS9 for groups since I got it, and when I did, I don't remember being too terribly impressed. So back in Dec. I decided to shoot for groups and found I was getting abysmal 8"-10" groups at 20 yards. I called Smith, told the rep what was going on, and he said, "No problem, we'll send you a shipping label." I dropped my M&P off on the 27th and got it back yesterday on the 10th (pretty good for being over the holiday).



It's been rainy and windy all day today, but I did get to run out to the range briefly when the sun broke through for a moment. Groups shrank to about half of what they were before, my best one today was a little over 4" at 22 yards. Not awesome, but good enough for me. This was with Remington UMC 115gr, which has always given me mediocre results. Maybe on a calmer day with some good ammo I could do a little better, but I'm content for the time being.



So if anyone else is having accuracy issues with their M&P9, I would say give Smith a call and let them know, the new barrel seems to have helped. They also replaced the striker while it was there, even though I hadn't mentioned it, which is nice. I'll be putting in the Apex FSS kit and some new Ameriglo sights, so hopefully that will shrink my groups a tiny bit as well.
XxMerlinxX is offline  
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #2
 
jlw3102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 122
What did they say was the issue? What did they say they did to correct it?
jlw3102 is offline  
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Member
 
XxMerlinxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 160
They didn't say what the issue was. On the sheet that came in the box it had basically an invoice that stated they replaced the barrel. Who knows what else they did, because they replaced the striker as well, but that wasn't on the invoice.
XxMerlinxX is offline  
 
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post
They didn't say what the issue was. On the sheet that came in the box it had basically an invoice that stated they replaced the barrel. Who knows what else they did, because they replaced the striker as well, but that wasn't on the invoice.


Sounds like maybe the 9mm FS / 5" lock up issue?
EvilBetty is offline  
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #5
 
SMMAssociates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: OH
Posts: 523
My M&P40FS showed up with both the front and rear sights WAY out of what I consider proper placement. Accuracy was a little off.... (The rear sight had been moved to compensate.)



Moved them, and all was well. Lots of cursing to do that, though - I hadn't bought a pusher yet.



Barrel lock-up issues could have been involved in Merlin's problem, too - I'm not seeing that.



For SD guns, about six rounds into a six inch circle at 30' is good enough, but it's more fun on the range when it does better .



I could have sent mine back, but that's an easy one.... (I'm a 1911 guy - you have to be a halfway decent smith, or know one .)



Regards,
SMMAssociates is offline  
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #6
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 26
I have been doing some research on the accuracy issues of the M&P series. I found this thread at pistol-forum.com. It might be of interest to some of you.



http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...p-P-9-accuracy



I own four M&Ps: 3 FS, 1 Pro. One of my FS pistols won't shoot better than 8-10 inch groups at 25 yards. I'm still trying different loads to see if the gun likes any of them, but I don't have much hope after reading the pistol-forum thread.
Fly320s is offline  
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10
Does this seem to be a recent production issue? If so, what S/N range? I have owned mine for some time and have shot probably 3k rounds through it but never at those distances. Mechanical accuracy is mechanical accuracy - the inconsistency in issue is alarming.
curiousg is offline  
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
I guess I am fortunate. I picked up another FS9 last week that was test fired in March of 2011. It it plenty accurate for 3-gun, IDPA, IPSC and Steel Challenge.



We have to remember these are not built to be bullseye pistols. If you want bullseye, get yourself a nice 1911.
palmettostate is offline  
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #9
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousg View Post
Does this seem to be a recent production issue? If so, what S/N range? I have owned mine for some time and have shot probably 3k rounds through it but never at those distances. Mechanical accuracy is mechanical accuracy - the inconsistency in issue is alarming.


It's a hit-or-miss proposition; I don't think anyone's tracked it to a specific batch of pistols, but it's being reported more and more these days as compared with the past. (That's definitely not enough info to make definitive statements, but... there it is!)



The informed consensus is that it's tolerance stacking between the locking block and the lugs, as well as the possibility of being barrel-to-slide fit problems of a similar nature.



The issue is the single biggest driving factor for the new APEX/Barsto barrel coming out in a few months, as well as the new locking block design they allegedly have in the works.



Also, keep in mind that many (if not most) of the 9mm FS/Pro/L models do not favor the lighter bullets. Many people see marked improvements in accuracy when switching to 124 or 147 factory loads. This of course does not solve the early unlocking concerns, which are typically seen in terms of vertical stringing of the groups. I have never seen one of these trouble guns in person, but I imagine there'd be some odd/uneven wear patterns on the locking block and lug area of the barrel assembly as well. I have encountered early unlocking in other pistols, and there's actually a very distinct feeling associated with the issue-- provided you have enough experience with a functioning pistol to notice the difference in feel.
Sin-ster is offline  
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville IL
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin-ster View Post
It's a hit-or-miss proposition; I don't think anyone's tracked it to a specific batch of pistols, but it's being reported more and more these days as compared with the past. (That's definitely not enough info to make definitive statements, but... there it is!)



The informed consensus is that it's tolerance stacking between the locking block and the lugs, as well as the possibility of being barrel-to-slide fit problems of a similar nature.



The issue is the single biggest driving factor for the new APEX/Barsto barrel coming out in a few months, as well as the new locking block design they allegedly have in the works.



Also, keep in mind that many (if not most) of the 9mm FS/Pro/L models do not favor the lighter bullets. Many people see marked improvements in accuracy when switching to 124 or 147 factory loads. This of course does not solve the early unlocking concerns, which are typically seen in terms of vertical stringing of the groups. I have never seen one of these trouble guns in person, but I imagine there'd be some odd/uneven wear patterns on the locking block and lug area of the barrel assembly as well. I have encountered early unlocking in other pistols, and there's actually a very distinct feeling associated with the issue-- provided you have enough experience with a functioning pistol to notice the difference in feel.




What does "vertical stringing of the groups" mean? (Sorry if this is a dumb question.)
RockBottom is offline  
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
MaddMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Rural NE Iowa
Posts: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
What does "vertical stringing of the groups" mean? (Sorry if this is a dumb question.)


Your groups are more up and down (high & low) than in a circle pattern.



All my M&P's eat everything and shoot any grain bullets very well (lucky ???). I just have to remember the different weight bullets.
MaddMax is offline  
Old February 11th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
LordRahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northen VA
Posts: 3,839
I guess I was lucky when I bought mine 08. I have had consistently small shot groups.
LordRahl is offline  
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #13
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMax View Post
Your groups are more up and down (high & low) than in a circle pattern.



All my M&P's eat everything and shoot any grain bullets very well (lucky ???). I just have to remember the different weight bullets.


What he said.



Twice over; my 9 Pro had no issues with the handful of factory 115 it was fed before I worked up my load for it.



It does however prefer the heavier bullets; I could see a difference just shooting off hand at 15 yards. TBH, I've never benched this gun-- but I have punched 5" groups of 5, free hand, at 25 yards, on the clock in a match. Slow fire for accuracy, they're better still.



I think you're actually pretty unlucky if you wind up with one that has accuracy issues, as opposed to lucky if you get one that does not. If it were truly that common, there'd be a much larger uproar about it.
Sin-ster is offline  
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #14
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15
Sent mine back, twice now... 5-6" groups is "in spec" they say... Unfortunately it is not adequate for the gun games in which S&W sponsors shooters for. Ridiculous.
orionz06 is offline  
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #15
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 31
Has anyone here tried the 17 lb. ISMI recoil spring in their M&P9? The stock one is 16 lb., as I understand it. On my M&P9 FS, when dry-firing it, the slide will actually move a small amount forward when the sear releases the striker. It appears the striker is holding the slide/barrel very slightly out-of-battery(?). I am not talking about the plastic striker retainer bulging out the back of the slide, I am talking about the whole slide moving. I bought a second striker, and swapped the striker spring for a Wolff reduced power version, but it is still the same; the slide moves a small amount forward when I dry-fire it. Reliability of the gun is so far perfect (~800 rounds total, so far), and I've run Blazer 115gr FMJ aluminum, Blazer 115gr FMJ Brass, Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ, PMC 115gr FMJ, and Magtech 115gr FMJ through it. I also tested my defensive rounds, Speer Gold Dot 147gr +P. The Speer 147gr Gold Dots were by far the most accurate, followed by the Federal 124gr, and all the 115gr FMJ's trailed by a wide margin. I've read on the Interwebz that the M&P9 may be unlocking early, and so I am basically wondering if the accuracy might improve with the heavier recoil spring, without adversely affecting the reliability? Other than adding an Apex DCAEK, the Wolff reduced power striker spring, and a Dawson FO front sight, my gun is stock.
ElectricDelta is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP Pistol Tech Help


Search tags for this page
1:10 twist barrel smith& wesson m&p 9mm
,

accuracy tests on pistols

,
barrel 1:10 twist smith & wesson m&p 9mm
,
earnest+langdon barrel
,
glock stock barrel twist rate
,
m&p 9mm 1:10 twist barrel
,
pistol 1:16 twist rate benefit
,
storm lake barrel specifications for m&p 9mm
,

storm lake m&p barrel twist

,
stormlake ywist rate
,
toddg source
,
what is the barrel twist rate on a smith and wesson 422
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Due to Accuracy Problems on M&P9... RockBottom MP Talk 12 March 1st, 2012 08:35 AM
New M&P Pro 9mm Accuracy Jeff 9mm M&P MP Talk 4 September 16th, 2011 03:43 PM
My 9c accuracy? 3leggeddog MP Compact Pistols 20 August 30th, 2010 09:18 PM
My 9C Accuracy moneysmith1 MP Compact Pistols 7 September 14th, 2009 04:55 PM
ACCURACY PROBLEMS hogwild17 MP Full Size Pistols 17 March 6th, 2008 09:06 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.