Hex screw size to remove rail - MP-Pistol Forum

Hex screw size to remove rail

This is a discussion on Hex screw size to remove rail within the MP SHIELD Pistols forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; Anyone know the size of hex screw that is needed for removing the factory rail on the M&P 40 Shield? Need to put on the ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1
Post Hex screw size to remove rail

Anyone know the size of hex screw that is needed for removing the factory rail on the M&P 40 Shield? Need to put on the picatinny rail to mount my new optics.
dlembke is offline  
Old January 9th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 127
I think you want the Rifle forum.
steved13 is offline  
Old January 9th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 61
The rail on a Shield is not removable. It is part of the chassis.

If you mean the rear sight, then that is another question.
MWalden is offline  
 
Old January 9th, 2017, 02:37 PM   #4
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWalden View Post
The rail on a Shield is not removable. It is part of the chassis.

If you mean the rear sight, then that is another question.
ok, I need to learn...where is the rail on the Shield?
steved13 is offline  
Old January 9th, 2017, 04:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
ok, I need to learn...where is the rail on the Shield?
The rail is whatever that thing you have hanging off the pistol in your avatar is attached to.
Rick M is offline  
Old January 9th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,451
Theres a sight rail on the shield pistols...???? I dont see ANY rail on any of my shields.
PaPow is offline  
Old January 9th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
ok, I need to learn...where is the rail on the Shield?
I assume you are wanting to put an optical sight on a Shield pistol. To do this you must remove the rear sight and then mount whatever attachment is necessary so that the optic can then be mounted. On a short barrel pistol such as the Shield I am not sure why you would want this. A small pistol such as the Shield makes a lousy competition shooter. For self defense, maybe it might help if you are having issues with sight picture but I would wager the optic would possibly interfere with the ejection port.
MWalden is offline  
Old January 9th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
Theres a sight rail on the shield pistols...???? I dont see ANY rail on any of my shields.
This is correct on the standard Shield. It has no M1913 rail at all. Maybe the performance Shield has a small one for light/laser?
MWalden is offline  
Old January 10th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #9
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
The rail is whatever that thing you have hanging off the pistol in your avatar is attached to.
That is attached to the trigger guard, there is no light rail, just a rounded frame.

I still think he's talking about a heat shield on a rifle, and is in the wrong forum. Or it's a compact or full size, in which case there is no hex screw, it's molded into the polymer.

Last edited by steved13; January 10th, 2017 at 02:27 AM.
steved13 is offline  
Old January 10th, 2017, 03:33 AM   #10
Member
 
Nick1946's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
I think you want the Rifle forum.
OP stated " M&P 40 Shield". I don't see how you get "rifle" from that.
Nick1946 is offline  
Old January 10th, 2017, 04:01 AM   #11
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1946 View Post
OP stated " M&P 40 Shield". I don't see how you get "rifle" from that.
I get rifle because there is no rail on an M&P Shield. Since an M&P 40 Shield has no rail (at least not that I know of), that part of his post is an error. There is a (heat) Shield on an M&P rifle, and picatinny rails are more popular for rifles than pistols, for mounting optics.
steved13 is offline  
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWalden View Post
This is correct on the standard Shield. It has no M1913 rail at all. Maybe the performance Shield has a small one for light/laser?
I have a few PC shields, they`re the same frame as the standard shield`s, no rail. I have Streamlight TLR-6`s on some of my PC shield`s, no rail.
PaPow is offline  
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:25 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
That is attached to the trigger guard, there is no light rail, just a rounded frame.

I still think he's talking about a heat shield on a rifle, and is in the wrong forum. Or it's a compact or full size, in which case there is no hex screw, it's molded into the polymer.
My bad; I hadn't noticed that the Shields don't have a rail, like all my other M&P's do.

My 45 Shield does have a more squared off frame bottom, and isn't rounded like my PC Shield 9, but I don't think there's enough there to clamp anything to.

I don't hang anything on my handguns, so I never paid any attention.

I guess you'll be confined to using things that'll attach to the trigger guard.
Rick M is offline  
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:41 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
My bad; I hadn't noticed that the Shields don't have a rail, like all my other M&P's do.

My 45 Shield does have a more squared off frame bottom, and isn't rounded like my PC Shield 9, but I don't think there's enough there to clamp anything to.

I don't hang anything on my handguns, so I never paid any attention.

I guess you'll be confined to using things that'll attach to the trigger guard.
Exactly right, you ole`coot...hehehehe
PaPow is offline  
Old January 10th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
Exactly right, you ole`coot...hehehehe
Rick M is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols


Search tags for this page

size of hex for tlr-6

,

tpool top rail hex crew

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes




Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.