Shield 45 - MP-Pistol Forum

Shield 45

This is a discussion on Shield 45 within the MP SHIELD Pistols forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; Is anyone else having a problem with the slide release? Have to use two hands to activate. I know rack the slide! But this one ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
Shield 45

Is anyone else having a problem with the slide release? Have to use two hands to activate. I know rack the slide! But this one feels like it doesn't want to let go
pianoman954 is offline  
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,901
Shoot it some more...
Rick M is offline  
Old January 18th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,456
You get up around 400 to 500 hundred rounds, it`ll be easier to release the slide lock. I dont recommend using slide lock lever as a release... just yank the slide with your hand and let it slingshot into full battery.

The slide locks were only mean`t to do one thing, HOLD the slide open while you reload a magazine into the gun. To many people watched to many movies many years ago, hollywood dosent know any better, but people think its cool to use the lever to release the slide. If you keep using it as a release, you`ll just put undue wear on your lever and slide contact points. But if you wanna just go all out hollywood on it, its your gun, do what you want. There is no law or rule on the subject... i just prefer not to do it that way.
PaPow is offline  
 
Old January 19th, 2017, 03:43 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: None of your business
Posts: 258
PER S&W it is NOT referred to as a release. And as such was not designed to work as we are so used to on other semi autos.

In over 3 yrs shooting shields I have relearned it myself and do it properly for the weapon as in push/pull slide back slightly.
Also if mag is inserted with enough authority it will release itself.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas45 is online now  
Old January 19th, 2017, 09:22 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
Shield 45

Sorry guys I guess I wasn't clear as to the problem. After slide lock, inserted new mag. but won't slingshot without pressing down on the "slide lock" lever.
pianoman954 is offline  
Old January 19th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman954 View Post
Sorry guys I guess I wasn't clear as to the problem. After slide lock, inserted new mag. but won't slingshot without pressing down on the "slide lock" lever.

Leave the slide locked to the rear when you're not using it. That'll help the recoil spring take it's set.

Also; check to ensure that the recoil assembly is centered properly within the slide.

I've never owned an M&P, including Shield models, that wouldn't slingshot.
Rick M is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
Shield 45

Just a update, brought in to a gun smith, he couldn't get it operate correctly. It's on the way back to S&W now, I'll let you know what happens.
pianoman954 is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: None of your business
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
Leave the slide locked to the rear when you're not using it. That'll help the recoil spring take it's set.

Also; check to ensure that the recoil assembly is centered properly within the slide.

I've never owned an M&P, including Shield models, that wouldn't slingshot.


Springs dont " take a set" the weaken from use.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas45 is online now  
Old January 20th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman954 View Post
Just a update, brought in to a gun smith, he couldn't get it operate correctly. It's on the way back to S&W now, I'll let you know what happens.
Best thing you could have done... hopefully they`ll get it fixed right away and get it right back to you quickly.
PaPow is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas45 View Post
Springs dont " take a set" the weaken from use.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex, it might be just me, but i think you might not have understood what Rick M was getting at.

YES, i agree that springs weaken, BUT, they also have to settle down in the gun too, when they`re brand new and very tight (like the shield`s are). Personally, i would have loved the chance to see his gun before he shipped it back to S&W. Some of these whiz bangs they call gunsmiths today couldnt pour piss out of a boot even if the instructions were written on the heels. I`m not saying there wasnt or isnt anything wrong with his gun, but i would have liked to have seen it in person. This isn`t the first time i`ve seen (or heard of) this kind of problem with a shield, being brand new, VERY stiff, then after a box of ammo run thru it, they ran fine, and the recoil spring and guide rod settled down, able to release the slide/slingshot. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable, so i think you would agree with my assessment.
PaPow is offline  
Old January 21st, 2017, 05:10 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: None of your business
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
Tex, it might be just me, but i think you might not have understood what Rick M was getting at.



YES, i agree that springs weaken, BUT, they also have to settle down in the gun too, when they`re brand new and very tight (like the shield`s are). Personally, i would have loved the chance to see his gun before he shipped it back to S&W. Some of these whiz bangs they call gunsmiths today couldnt pour piss out of a boot even if the instructions were written on the heels. I`m not saying there wasnt or isnt anything wrong with his gun, but i would have liked to have seen it in person. This isn`t the first time i`ve seen (or heard of) this kind of problem with a shield, being brand new, VERY stiff, then after a box of ammo run thru it, they ran fine, and the recoil spring and guide rod settled down, able to release the slide/slingshot. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable, so i think you would agree with my assessment.


I also don't think anything was or is wrong with the weapon.
Trying to use the LOCK as a release and it is NOT intended to be.
When "new" mine would not release IF one tied to use it as a release.
Now after a few hundred rds it will do it but it is difficult as it is not designed to be used that way.
Small gun short slide big caliber means a recoil spring that is STIFF to slow the slide in a 3 in travel.

Be interesting to hear what SW says.


Also think about the springs on your car for example. They "sit" there with 3k car on them ALWAYS. They wear out from the millions of up and down movements over there lifetime not from your car setting in the garage on um.

Same for the springs in your mags if your recoil spring USE is the only thing that weakens um.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas45 is online now  
Old January 21st, 2017, 05:34 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Shield45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Fla
Posts: 12
Tex & PP - You guys hit the nail on the head. I just tried it on my Shield 45 with snap caps and it doesn't release. It's just not meant to do so.
Shield45 is offline  
Old January 21st, 2017, 04:54 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas45 View Post
Springs dont " take a set" the weaken from use.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. Springs do take a set, which is their operating length. It's shorter than when new, but they then continue to function properly for a long time.

I've seen it in countless 1911 recoil springs over the 30 something years that I've been shooting, carrying and working on them.

http://springipedia.com/compression-stress-spring.asp

Last edited by Rick M; January 21st, 2017 at 05:01 PM.
Rick M is offline  
Old January 21st, 2017, 07:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
I disagree. Springs do take a set, which is their operating length. It's shorter than when new, but they then continue to function properly for a long time.

I've seen it in countless 1911 recoil springs over the 30 something years that I've been shooting, carrying and working on them.

Compression Spring - Stress and Spring Set
No denying facts from the experts
Yep, thaz right, springs do take a set. (as i said earlier, they have to settle down)
PaPow is offline  
Old January 22nd, 2017, 05:31 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: None of your business
Posts: 258
OK lets agree they do to a point but NOT from just "locking"the slide back. They "settle" from use and then only to a certain amount after which they "weaken" to the point they no longer can return to the predetermined point with enough umph to work.

For what its worth I shot my shields(40 & 45) yesterday
About 200 through each gun
NEVER TOUCHED THE SLIDE LOCK when chambering it just pull back and let r rip.

Both worked flawlessly.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas45 is online now  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shield Modifications and Magguts +2 Kit anbuyoshi MP SHIELD Pistols 25 March 11th, 2017 09:53 PM
New shield in the family journeyman MP SHIELD Pistols 4 December 7th, 2016 06:34 AM
Ported Shield V/s non ported browningv308 MP SHIELD Pistols 26 October 26th, 2016 07:35 AM
Bought second Shield for my wife WPA MP SHIELD Pistols 11 August 28th, 2016 10:28 AM
Shield 45 Puma Jim MP SHIELD Pistols 1 August 23rd, 2016 10:23 AM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.