HYVE 2 Round Magazine Extension Review - MP-Pistol Forum

HYVE 2 Round Magazine Extension Review

This is a discussion on HYVE 2 Round Magazine Extension Review within the MP SHIELD Pistols forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; I bought the 2-round extension for the Shield 8 round magazine. The HYVE is easy to install, looks very good, and follows the lines of ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2017, 05:15 PM   #1
Member
 
Chaseman31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Louisville Ky.
Posts: 71
HYVE 2 Round Magazine Extension Review

I bought the 2-round extension for the Shield 8 round magazine. The HYVE is easy to install, looks very good, and follows the lines of the shield perfectly. Great fit and finish, and I like the extra 2 rounds without being bulky or making my shield print. The only down side is that I practiced my grip for so long with the 8 round magazine, and gotten that muscle memory down, and now when I grip it, it feels foreign to me, so now I have to get used to something different, and get to where it feels natural and comfortable. If anyone is on the fence about getting one of these, it's a nice upgrade to the shield. I have put about 100 rounds down range, and loaded and unloaded the magazine many times just to make sure there were no problems.
Chaseman31 is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Vegas
Posts: 20
Thanks for the update. Does it add length to the 8 round mag or is the mag still stock height?
Beefstews is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 08:59 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3
It adds overall length by half an inch (if I remember right). Fit and finish are solid and well manufactured. I have bear paws and this helps a ton with purchase.

The springs are still stock and I've seen an issue at the range with my buddy's Hyve extensions. We had 4 mags and only one had two spring malfunctions/kinking issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1484935075286-730255397_1484935102421.jpg (3.80 MB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 20161231_104019_1484935145361.jpg (679.4 KB, 78 views)
Recon227 is offline  
 
Old January 20th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Member
 
Chaseman31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Louisville Ky.
Posts: 71
I hate to learn about issues , hope i don't have any. So far none
Chaseman31 is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 63
I have two 8-round magazines with the +2 Hyve extensions. I use them at the range and have over 100 rounds through each with no failures.


Last edited by ramnj; January 20th, 2017 at 07:32 PM.
ramnj is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,105
No offense, but no thanks, i`ll keep mine stock OEM, they way the mags came from the factory.
PaPow is offline  
Old January 22nd, 2017, 12:25 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
No offense, but no thanks, i`ll keep mine stock OEM, they way the mags came from the factory.
No offense taken. I use OEM magazines when being used as CCW or HD.

But you can't beat the benefit the extended mags have on the range. All my range magazines have them...Hyve or Maggots.
ramnj is offline  
Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnj View Post
No offense taken. I use OEM magazines when being used as CCW or HD.

But you can't beat the benefit the extended mags have on the range. All my range magazines have them...Hyve or Maggots.
Totally understood on the range mags. But for me, i dont need or want anything different than the set-up that i carry with. I dont want to add (or take away from) and then have to relearn everything between carry and range shooting. I want everything the same no matter where i`m at. My carry weapon is not a range toy, it is a tool. If i`m flipping back and forth all the time with this and that, one of these days i might forget what set-up i have... and it could cost me my life. To each there own, i`ll keep it simple, i dont want to have to think about my carry set-up in the middle of a life&death defense shoot.
PaPow is offline  
Old January 22nd, 2017, 02:01 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
Totally understood on the range mags. But for me, i dont need or want anything different than the set-up that i carry with. I dont want to add (or take away from) and then have to relearn everything between carry and range shooting. I want everything the same no matter where i`m at. My carry weapon is not a range toy, it is a tool. If i`m flipping back and forth all the time with this and that, one of these days i might forget what set-up i have... and it could cost me my life. To each there own, i`ll keep it simple, i dont want to have to think about my carry set-up in the middle of a life&death defense shoot.
Totally understand. I rely on muscle memory since I have several different size pistols that have different weights. My carry and home weapons are also my range toys. Different views for different people.
ramnj is offline  
Old January 22nd, 2017, 07:14 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Boston
Posts: 88
that sure looks like they add an awful lot of length to the mags.
I use the MagGuts +2 (haven't had any issues yet , about 400 rounds through it)
and it looks to my eye that this adds quite a bit more overall height to the weapon. Am I off here? Optical illusion?
Looks cool , just ...."big"
kmanick is offline  
Old January 22nd, 2017, 09:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanick View Post
that sure looks like they add an awful lot of length to the mags.
I use the MagGuts +2 (haven't had any issues yet , about 400 rounds through it)
and it looks to my eye that this adds quite a bit more overall height to the weapon. Am I off here? Optical illusion?
Looks cool , just ...."big"
Yup, it adds length to it. Harder to conceal too
PaPow is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:07 PM   #12
Member
 
Chaseman31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Louisville Ky.
Posts: 71
I don't carry the extension when conceal carrying, I only use factory everything, will not take a chance of some aftermarket product not working the one time I need it, but at the range it's nice not having to reload so much!
Chaseman31 is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #13
Member
 
Chaseman31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Louisville Ky.
Posts: 71
It really doesn't add that much....Just seems like it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170117_162109_1485320941509.jpg (1.76 MB, 42 views)
Chaseman31 is offline  
Old February 15th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #14
Member
 
NoQuota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 100
I bought one to use exclusively on a spare edc mag.

Fit, and finish are top notch quality.

Haven't tested it yet, but don't see any reason why it wouldn't function properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (630.9 KB, 26 views)
NoQuota is offline  
Old February 16th, 2017, 06:41 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon227 View Post
It adds overall length by half an inch (if I remember right). Fit and finish are solid and well manufactured. I have bear paws and this helps a ton with purchase.

The springs are still stock and I've seen an issue at the range with my buddy's Hyve extensions. We had 4 mags and only one had two spring malfunctions/kinking issues.
Looking at the spring pic, I don't see how that could happen while in the mag tube.

Any chance it happened during the mag modification work?
Rick M is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols


Search tags for this page
hyve extended magazine mp 40
,
hyve mag extension review
,
hyve mag extensions
,

hyve magazine extension

,
hyve magazine extension shield
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESP Mag Well -- 10 Round Mag Base jadedincali Competition 0 November 14th, 2016 01:34 PM
Magazine Spring Question 4dsjw MP Gunsmithing 12 September 17th, 2016 05:29 PM
FS M&P Magazine Extension jeremycase00 Classifieds 3 August 9th, 2016 04:25 PM
8 round magazine sale BB7 MP SHIELD Pistols 0 July 3rd, 2016 01:35 PM
WTT: trade my M&P9 Shield 8 round magazine for your 7 rounder masakari Classifieds 1 June 10th, 2016 12:25 AM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.