9mm Shield slide lock - can't release it :( - MP-Pistol Forum

9mm Shield slide lock - can't release it :(

This is a discussion on 9mm Shield slide lock - can't release it :( within the MP SHIELD Pistols forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; New Shield 9mm. Love it so far. But absolutely no way can I get the slide lock to release without a tool (such as the ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: MA
Posts: 4
9mm Shield slide lock - can't release it :(

New Shield 9mm. Love it so far.

But absolutely no way can I get the slide lock to release without a tool (such as the blunt end of a pen pushing down on it *extremely* hard).

Yes, if I slide the slide back a little it will release. But I am new in the firearms sport, and I've taken two ladies-only safety/educational classes so far. I was taught that it's safer to use the slide lock release when chambering. My Sig P226's slide lock works just fine, but not this Shield's.

Is there some sort of adjustment I can have someone make to get it to work correctly?

Thanks everyone
studiopeg is offline  
Old February 8th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #2
G56
Site Staff
 
G56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 8,821
First of all welcome to our little corner of the web!

The next time a 'self appointed expert' tells you that its safer to release the slide by ignoring the specific instructions that come with your pistol, turn around and walk out, he doesn't know what he's talking about. What he told you is his opinion, but its not always the correct way to do it.

Your Shield and all M&P pistols have a slide lock, now a slide lock is different from a slide release, the M&P series was designed with features recommended by the top firearms trainers all over the country, now if those people recommended it to have a slide release S&W would have made it that way, but they didn't.

Your owner's manual is very specific about how to release the slide, you pull the slide to the rear and release it, many people call this the slingshot method, since the motion is so much like pulling back a sling shot. The manual doesn't tell you to push down on the slide release, since the M&P doesn't have a slide release, it has a slide lock, and a slide release and slide lock aren't the same thing.

Invariably when this subject comes up, and it comes up quite often, somebody always chimes in that doesn't want to accept what S&W says, there was another guy like that, Don Quixote, always wanting to fight that windmill, but it just keeps going around and around.

Last edited by G56; February 8th, 2017 at 01:47 PM.
G56 is offline  
Old February 8th, 2017, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Washington State - +-94mi east of the Cascade Curtain
Posts: 718
It's just as safe to pull back and release the slide to chamber a round, and that's the way your "Safety & Instruction Manual" says to do it.

With that said, the Shield's Slide Stop is extremely hard to use as a slide release. I've had mine for almost 3 years now and I can release mine with only my thumb, but it's still considerably harder to release than my other M&P's are.

It may or may not loosen up with repeated use of it, some have gone as far as having some filing done on it.
NCW Ray is offline  
 
Old February 8th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #4
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 117
Welcome to the forum.

Before we condemn the instructors that told you it is safer to use the slide lock/release, were they specifically speaking about the Shield, or a different gun?

In an SD situation it is considered safer to use the slide release (if possible) because it allows you to get both hands on the weapon and back on target faster. So a gun with a slide release, such as your sig

I felt a couple of burrs and did a little filing and reduced the difficulty.

I'm not looking to tilt at windmills and I agree the manual says to pull the slide reward and release...but with all the red in that manual, I have seen it argued that nowhere does say not to use the slide lock as a release...again with all the warnings, I feel certain there would be one if they expressly didn't want you to do it for some reason. I believe your sig manual says to pull the slide back and release rather than the slide lock lever also.

Here are a couple of articles, that advise using the support hand rather than the slide lock lever and why.

Why I Don't Use My Gun's Slide Release Lever

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...slide-release/

I found a couple of burrs, and did a little filing...it is now stiff but able to do it one handed.
steved13 is offline  
Old February 8th, 2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Member
 
ThrowinRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 34
If you've seen enough of their commercials you'll see that they rack (slingshot) the slide to release it. Great advice from everyone

ThrowinRocks is offline  
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: WA
Posts: 197
Is there an empty magazine in the gun? That can make it near impossible.

New Shields are quite stiff. Mine is a lot easier to release now that it has some rounds through it.

Quote:
I was taught that it's safer to use the slide lock release when chambering
I have never heard that one before. I was taught to use an overhand rack to release the slide.

Allegedly you can change the effort with sandpaper.

Welcome to the forum.
BennyRayRiddle is offline  
Old February 9th, 2017, 03:13 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: None of your business
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyRayRiddle View Post
Is there an empty magazine in the gun? That can make it near impossible.


Welcome to the forum.

Considering by design the slide should LOCK open after last round yeah it should be "darn near impossible."






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas45 is offline  
Old February 9th, 2017, 05:37 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by G56 View Post
First of all welcome to our little corner of the web!

The next time a 'self appointed expert' tells you that its safer to release the slide by ignoring the specific instructions that come with your pistol, turn around and walk out, he doesn't know what he's talking about. What he told you is his opinion, but its not always the correct way to do it.

Your Shield and all M&P pistols have a slide lock, now a slide lock is different from a slide release, the M&P series was designed with features recommended by the top firearms trainers all over the country, now if those people recommended it to have a slide release S&W would have made it that way, but they didn't.

Your owner's manual is very specific about how to release the slide, you pull the slide to the rear and release it, many people call this the slingshot method, since the motion is so much like pulling back a sling shot. The manual doesn't tell you to push down on the slide release, since the M&P doesn't have a slide release, it has a slide lock, and a slide release and slide lock aren't the same thing.

Invariably when this subject comes up, and it comes up quite often, somebody always chimes in that doesn't want to accept what S&W says, there was another guy like that, Don Quixote, always wanting to fight that windmill, but it just keeps going around and around.
John, please make this a "sticky".....Thank You

PaPowwwwww
PaPow is offline  
Old February 10th, 2017, 05:58 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: MA
Posts: 4
Thanks everyone for the great responses and for the welcome and articles!

You all bring up some very good points:

-Actually, the two classes I took both used a Sig Sauer P226, so yes it's possible that the instructor was referring specifically to the Sigs in the class when she said to release the slide lock to chamber.

-It made no difference pushing down on it with or without a mag, full or empty.

-I was thinking that this particular firearm wasn't meant to chamber by releasing the slide lock, so before I asked here, I searched YouTube videos to see if anyone chambered this way. Some did, very easily, particularly this one:

-If the manual, the makers, the experts for the most part agree to chamber by slingshot, then that's fine with me. I like that way better anyway. And one of those articles had a good point about different guns having the slide lock lever in different places.

I just wanted to know if mine was defective, but it seems it is not

Before I bought the shield, everyone told me it would not shoot as accurately as my P226 because it's smaller. Odd, but for me, turns out I shoot it a little better than my P226. I really really like this firearm.

Hope to learn more from you all here, thanks
studiopeg is offline  
Old February 10th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #10
G56
Site Staff
 
G56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 8,821
The Browning designed 1911 is a perfect example of a pistol with a slide release on the side, note how many of the pistols come with or are modified with an extended slide release, and when shooting a 1911 I usually use the extended slide release to close the slide.

In the video he also demonstrates the wrong way to take down an M&P by pulling the trigger rather than using the little yellow release lever, thus bypassing one of the major safety features of the M&P line. Background: When the M&P line was designed S&W went to a large number of professional pistol trainers, one thing that every single one of them asked for was that the pistol be designed so you didn't have to pull the trigger to take it apart, the reason being that on the Glock you have to pull the trigger to release the sear, that poor design coupled with poor safety habits has resulted in several deaths and a number of people wounded by negligent discharges. Rule number one: always treat a gun as if it is loaded, if a person ignores that rule the consequences can be disastrous. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't engage their brains and are careless, accidents follow. I'm attaching a rather graphic photo of a Glock owner who forgot Rule #1, he was lucky, he only shot his hand, others have killed family members.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glock-clean.jpg (25.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by G56; February 10th, 2017 at 10:57 AM.
G56 is offline  
Old February 10th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: MA
Posts: 4
Yep the first class was 7 full hours of safety which never stopped in ongoing classes. Drilling it in our heads about always pointing it in a safe direction even when unloaded, always being aware of your backdrop, not getting cocky or lazy, never pointing the gun anywhere but downrange when in the lane. The experienced friends I go with I have asked to always watch me and correct me if I do anything wrong, which they have done.

I practice loading and unloading with snap caps and even then always pointing safely.

I have taken my Sig down but not the Shield yet. Thanks for your advice and comments


Quote:
Originally Posted by G56 View Post
The Browning designed 1911 is a perfect example of a pistol with a slide release on the side, note how many of the pistols come with or are modified with an extended slide release, and when shooting a 1911 I usually use the extended slide release to close the slide.

In the video he also demonstrates the wrong way to take down an M&P by pulling the trigger rather than using the little yellow release lever, thus bypassing one of the major safety features of the M&P line. Background: When the M&P line was designed S&W went to a large number of professional pistol trainers, one thing that every single one of them asked for was that the pistol be designed so you didn't have to pull the trigger to take it apart, the reason being that on the Glock you have to pull the trigger to release the sear, that poor design coupled with poor safety habits has resulted in several deaths and a number of people wounded by negligent discharges. Rule number one: always treat a gun as if it is loaded, if a person ignores that rule the consequences can be disastrous. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't engage their brains and are careless, accidents follow. I'm attaching a rather graphic photo of a Glock owner who forgot Rule #1, he was lucky, he only shot his hand, others have killed family members.
studiopeg is offline  
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #12
Member
 
ThrowinRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 34
S&W M&P or whatever I think this video sums it up perfectly.


ThrowinRocks is offline  
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #13
G56
Site Staff
 
G56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 8,821
I was a firearms safety instructor for many years, I also started competing with a pistol in 1968 and have shot competitive pistol on and off since them, I am almost paranoid about muzzle discipline, if I'm around people who are careless with muzzle discipline I usually let them know about it and if they don't straighten up I leave, its too dangerous to be around poor safety practices.

One time I almost had a negligent discharge, I was at a friend's place and he wanted to show me a Walther PPK, the model James Bond used in the movies. It was in a spare room, the lighting wasn't very good in there, I picked up the pistol, I removed a loaded magazine, then pulled back the slide and checked the chamber, it appeared to be empty, I started to just pull the trigger to drop the hammer, then thought no, I'll just let it down slowly. My friend was looking at something else and not paying any attention to me, at that point I reinserted the mag and set the pistol down, as I did so my friend mentions that I should be careful that pistol was hot.....HUH? I picked up the pistol, dropped the mag and retracted the slide, this time the extractor pulled the cartridge out of the chamber, I had totally missed seeing the cartridge in the chamber! I got quite a lump in my throat when I thought how close I came to just pulling the trigger!

I'm certainly glad I resisted the temptation to just pull the trigger to drop the hammer, although pointed in a safe direction I wouldn't have liked to have to explain to his wife why I put a hole in their wall.

Lesson learned, stick your finger into that chamber to find out for sure if there is anything in there. The lighting was poor but I trusted to see if it was loaded and I was wrong, and someone who didn't pay good attention to muzzle discipline could have killed someone. This stuff is too important to not take it seriously.
G56 is offline  
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #14
G56
Site Staff
 
G56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 8,821
Good point about the Beretta, I have a Beretta Model 92, just like the M9, and can certainly see where that could happen. It has never happened to me while shooting my Beretta, but I've never shot it in competition or in any stressful situation that could cause that to happen.
G56 is offline  
Old February 10th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #15
Member
 
ThrowinRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 34
A lot of pistols like some of the Sigs that are closer to being like the Beretta's and others I can see why they say use the slide lock to release the slide. I had to train myself not to do it with my P320 when I bought it last year because I'm a lefty and having an ambidextrous slide lock was always too tempting especially when all my other pistols were not ambidextrous. LOL

I also do a lot of offhand shooting. You never know.
ThrowinRocks is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Shield 9 with saefty, slide lock wont release MangoFL MP SHIELD Pistols 11 January 25th, 2017 08:32 AM
Shield 9: Inconsistent Slide Lock Wisbballfn15 MP SHIELD Pistols 21 January 24th, 2017 08:07 AM
Premature slide lock back on Shield 45 TimBT MP Pistol Tech Help 6 November 29th, 2016 03:42 PM
Slide release MarineScott MP SHIELD Pistols 10 October 17th, 2016 01:52 PM
Shield slide needed Jasonff MP SHIELD Pistols 5 June 13th, 2016 05:26 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.