Brand new 9mm Shield will not go into battery - Page 2 - MP-Pistol Forum

Brand new 9mm Shield will not go into battery

This is a discussion on Brand new 9mm Shield will not go into battery within the MP SHIELD Pistols forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; Originally Posted by BrianK What a screw up in so many ways and over many work benches! I wonder if a .380 reamer was used? ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
What a screw up in so many ways and over many work benches! I wonder if a .380 reamer was used? If I had some .380 I'd put one in to see if it chambers. Maybe you have a one off .380 auto mistake.

Contact S&W. They'll take care of it.

How could they have test fired it out of battery? That makes no sense to me.
I was thinkin the same thing
I wouldn`t even be messing with it, i woulda just sent it back.
Or at least go back to the gun shop and have them try another barrel in it out of another gun.
PaPow is offline  
Old April 17th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kingwood, Tx
Posts: 16
I tried dropping a .380 round in the barrel and it goes in too deep for the extractor to pull it back out. My dad (gunsmith since he was a teenager) and I thought the same thing - maybe the factory machined it for .380, but that does not appear to be the case. Looks like the final machining step was skipped - I think they cut the throat with a reamer.
Smokindav is offline  
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokindav View Post
I tried dropping a .380 round in the barrel and it goes in too deep for the extractor to pull it back out. My dad (gunsmith since he was a teenager) and I thought the same thing - maybe the factory machined it for .380, but that does not appear to be the case. Looks like the final machining step was skipped - I think they cut the throat with a reamer.
Send`r back to S&W Dav, let them deal with it.
PaPow is offline  
 
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:36 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kingwood, Tx
Posts: 16
It went back last Thursday - it will probably take S&W 3-4 weeks to send it back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
Send`r back to S&W Dav, let them deal with it.
Smokindav is offline  
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,483
I`m sure it will be good when you get it back... its worth the wait.
PaPow is offline  
Old April 18th, 2017, 04:12 PM   #21
Member
 
Big Bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 49
be sure to come back and update this thread I for one would really like to know what is going on with your shield.
Big Bang is offline  
Old April 18th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kingwood, Tx
Posts: 16
I hate to wait for it to get repaired. All I have to shoot is a Ruger P90DC .45ACP that I bought when I was on my own right out of college in the mid-90's, a Kel-Tech P3AT .380 which physically hurts to shoot, but is a good pocket pistol, and a Ruger .22LR semi-auto with a rediculous 10" barrel and a scope that my dad bought me when I was a teenager.

Edit: And a .45 cap and ball derringer.
Smokindav is offline  
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,483
We ALL feel your pain... it`ll be back before you know it brother... and it will work perfect.
PaPow is offline  
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bang View Post
be sure to come back and update this thread I for one would really like to know what is going on with your shield.
No doubt... i bet they put a new barrel in it for him and tune up the trigger for him.
PaPow is offline  
Old May 23rd, 2017, 09:06 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kingwood, Tx
Posts: 16
Update

Fed Ex brought me a box from Smith & Wesson's warranty department today. They replaced the barrel and test fired the pistol.

Tomorrow I plan to go the range during lunch and test her out.



Smokindav is offline  
Old May 23rd, 2017, 09:53 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,483
NICE, i hope it all works out
PaPow is offline  
Old May 25th, 2017, 06:33 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kingwood, Tx
Posts: 16
I finally got my brand new Shield back from Smith & Wesson warranty and took it to the range yesterday along with my 9C which I purchased used but haven't shot yet.

Indoor range, 7-yards - the goal was to get some rounds through the Shield to break it in and to try out the 9C compact.

I shoot the 9C very well - 3" groups, great trigger, very accurate for me. The Shield also shoots ok, but bigger 6" groups and the trigger is heavy and not great compared to the 9C.

Not sure why the triggers are so much different between the too very similar guns - but I loved the 9C and only just like the Shield. The Shield will have it's place for daily concealed carry, but if I want to go shooting the 9C is my go to now.

I ran about 4 mags (48 rounds) through the 9C with no issues. I ran about 150 rounds through the Shield and had one failure to fire with UMC ammunition. Ran it through the gun twice and it still didn't fire. I won't be buying that stuff again. I also shot white box Winchester, some decent ammo from Korea, UMC and some Remington jacketed hollow points (carry ammo).
Smokindav is offline  
Old May 25th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokindav View Post
I finally got my brand new Shield back from Smith & Wesson warranty and took it to the range yesterday along with my 9C which I purchased used but haven't shot yet.

Indoor range, 7-yards - the goal was to get some rounds through the Shield to break it in and to try out the 9C compact.

I shoot the 9C very well - 3" groups, great trigger, very accurate for me. The Shield also shoots ok, but bigger 6" groups and the trigger is heavy and not great compared to the 9C.

Not sure why the triggers are so much different between the too very similar guns - but I loved the 9C and only just like the Shield. The Shield will have it's place for daily concealed carry, but if I want to go shooting the 9C is my go to now.

I ran about 4 mags (48 rounds) through the 9C with no issues. I ran about 150 rounds through the Shield and had one failure to fire with UMC ammunition. Ran it through the gun twice and it still didn't fire. I won't be buying that stuff again. I also shot white box Winchester, some decent ammo from Korea, UMC and some Remington jacketed hollow points (carry ammo).
Most likely because the 9c is used. The Shield trigger will lighten up some after it's been shot for a while, too.

If you want it nice "right now;" and Apex sear and striker block will make a big difference.
Rick M is offline  
Old May 26th, 2017, 08:35 AM   #29
Member
 
Big Bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 49
Glad you got your shield figured out, thanks for coming back and updating post.

They changed the barrel but did not say what the problem was?

too bad I would like to know how this happened.
Big Bang is offline  
Old June 3rd, 2017, 06:51 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kingwood, Tx
Posts: 16
Ran another 80-rounds through the Shield last Wednesday. She ran great. I still hate the trigger, but I can put a magazine full through the 4" bull at 15 yards. It's fine for self defense/daily carry.

That range trip was using Winchester white box. No issues.

Total round count is about 175. Just bought another box of 100 Federal at Wally World. I'll shoot those up next week with my son.
Smokindav is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shield Modifications and Magguts +2 Kit anbuyoshi MP SHIELD Pistols 25 March 11th, 2017 09:53 PM
New shield in the family journeyman MP SHIELD Pistols 4 December 7th, 2016 06:34 AM
Ported Shield V/s non ported browningv308 MP SHIELD Pistols 26 October 26th, 2016 07:35 AM
Bought second Shield for my wife WPA MP SHIELD Pistols 11 August 28th, 2016 10:28 AM
Shield 45 Puma Jim MP SHIELD Pistols 1 August 23rd, 2016 10:23 AM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.