Shield rear sight adjustment issue. - MP-Pistol Forum

Shield rear sight adjustment issue.

This is a discussion on Shield rear sight adjustment issue. within the MP SHIELD Pistols forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; I got a Shield performance ported 9mm with hi viz fiber rear sights . I went to move the rear sight just a bit to ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 20
Shield rear sight adjustment issue.

I got a Shield performance ported 9mm with hi viz fiber rear sights . I went to move the rear sight just a bit to compensate for constant POI left.
When I went to unscrew the sight set screw with a hex key, note I heated the screw to free up any loctite , the set screw immediately stripped and after trying a screw back off bit I was able to get it backed off enough to remove the hi viz sight. It now has a stripped set screw in it.
Question is do you think S&W will send a new rear sight and has anyone had any experience with their costumer service ,I don't want to have to send the entire Shield back for just a sight issue. Any suggestions?
BULLSTONE is offline  
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:44 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mountains
Posts: 35
Maybe you can drill it out and retap it for a larger set screw.
kilyung is offline  
Old May 7th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Member
 
CitizenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Earth... No other option yet
Posts: 213
Was the sight not centered properly at the factory?
CitizenX is offline  
 
Old May 8th, 2017, 06:49 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 20
this sight was not properly centered from the factory and was shooting 7 inchs left at 7 yards.
BULLSTONE is offline  
Old May 8th, 2017, 07:33 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind the tree
Posts: 1,132
You can try to squarely tap a #6 Torx screw bit firmly down into the 1/16" (0.0625") hex head opening and use the torx bit to remove it. The set screws are not secured with red loctite, rather a Nylok patch (or some other proprietary brand)on the threads of the screw that will usually tolerate several installations / removals. Your use of a "screw back off bit" may not allow this method to work.


Last edited by mp9werks; May 8th, 2017 at 08:44 AM.
mp9werks is offline  
Old May 8th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #6
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSTONE View Post
this sight was not properly centered from the factory and was shooting 7 inchs left at 7 yards.
Was this shot from a rest, or freehanded? 7" at 7 yards is way off and should have gone back to S&W...hard to believe it left the factory like that. I doubt they will send a new sight, that's the risk we take when we decide to service our own gun. It's worth a call though.
steved13 is offline  
Old May 8th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 88
Why not wait for e-bay to list a replacement rear site for your PC Shield? I recently saw a set for sale a few weeks ago. S&W states right in the handbook that the rear site is non-adjustable so I'd bet that you will have to pay for whatever they do for you which may be expensive considering that you will likely have to pay for the shipping as well. Better sites are another option.
Yankee45 is offline  
Old May 8th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee45 View Post
Why not wait for e-bay to list a replacement rear site for your PC Shield? I recently saw a set for sale a few weeks ago. S&W states right in the handbook that the rear site is non-adjustable so I'd bet that you will have to pay for whatever they do for you which may be expensive considering that you will likely have to pay for the shipping as well. Better sites are another option.
Well, that's just a bit of BS, as I put an Apex striker block in my PC Shield 9 the first week I had it, and that does require that the rear sight be removed to accomplish the change.

The rear sight didn't have the extra "ears" that some have posted pics of on their standard Shields, and was easily removed and reinstalled with a JMT sight pusher.

Last edited by Rick M; May 8th, 2017 at 06:20 PM.
Rick M is offline  
Old May 8th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
Well, that's just a bit of BS, as I put an Apex striker block in my PC Shield 9 the first week I had it, and that does require that the rear sight be removed to accomplish the change.

The rear sight didn't have the extra "ears" that some have posted pics of on their standard Shields, and was easily removed and reinstalled with a JMT sight pusher.
Rick M, No BS from me but from the M&P Manual which states that the rear site is nonadjustable. As the OP messed up his rear site while attempting to adjust it I suspect that S&W may give him a hard time about putting on a new site without charging him, so I alerted him to that statement while I hope that they take care of him.

Yes, I too, have replaced the striker block plunger on my Shield after removing the rear site and there is a small amount of adjustment for the rear site.

Last edited by Yankee45; May 9th, 2017 at 05:51 PM.
Yankee45 is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:39 AM   #10
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 127
;0Yup, no BS...page 28




Yankee45, I think Rick M meant a bit of BS on S&W's part for putting it in the manual not BS on your part. I don't mean to speak for Rick M I just saw it a different way.

I didn't have any trouble swapping mine out with a Sight pusher...but I don't think I could complain if I did.

Still say 7" at 7 yards is pretty far off, and I would send back to S&W. Although hard to believe that wasn't free hand and shooter error. I see it a lot on forums, people want to adjust the gun and have't shot from a rest to take the shooter out of the equation and test the gun. I have always found; That I was shooting inaccurately and the gun was capable of being very accurate.

Last edited by steved13; May 9th, 2017 at 05:49 AM.
steved13 is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 1,320
S&W dosent want people workin on their guns unless they know what they`re doing. Can you imagine what they see when people try to get things warranteed that the owner messed up...??? Competence, not very many people have it. So thats why they likely wrote that in the manual. You should see some of the cnc machines i have to fix on my job... it aint pretty...lol. Some people just shoudn`t touch things that they have no clue how to fix. When they do, and they`re incompetent, they end up making it worse, then they try to blame someone else for their screw up... i see it everyday where i work. Most never read an owners manual, let alone understand it after they`ve read it.

Steve, i saw what rick wrote to, i think your right. Rick isnt the kind a guy that would mean it any other way. Rick is a very smart guy, he can change M&P sights with his eye`s closed. The manual is BS to him, and alot of us as well too, because we know what we`re doing when changing sights.
PaPow is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 08:12 AM   #12
Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg FL
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post

Steve, i saw what rick wrote to, i think your right. Rick isnt the kind a guy that would mean it any other way. Rick is a very smart guy, he can change M&P sights with his eye`s closed. The manual is BS to him, and alot of us as well too, because we know what we`re doing when changing sights.
LOL, I don't think I knew what I was doing, first time ever, just watched a few videos, took my time, spent the $$$ for a sight pusher, and tried to be careful and it went very well. I didn't even know about heating it up for the locktite but i got lucky and had no issues. I have been around long enough to make sure the hex key is fully seated though...that has caused a lot of stripping in my younger days. I was a little nervous wondering if the sights would move or tear off of their dovetails first though.
steved13 is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 20
UPDATE ON SIGHT ISSUE.

Guys I read your comments and to address your comments:
1. I did shoot from a rest and am plenty experienced in analyzing
grip and trigger finger issues.
2. It was 7" off at rest at 7 yds.
3.I spoke to customer service at S&W and they stated they don't use
loctite but a dry thread grip that doesn't need heating to release the set screw.
They wanted me to send back the Shield but after telling them that the sight was off the gun they agreed to sending me a replacement and hopefully its on its way.
4.After searching many blogs I found many who had to do minor sight adjustments and others doing Apex changes who had stripped set screw issues.
5.One interesting method I saw was a guy who stripped it so bad and could not budge it during his attempt to replace that he wound up putting a pinch of JB WELD into the set screw-putting in the hex key- and let it sit over night.The next day the hex had welded itself to the set screw and he was able to break the screw loose.It cost him a hex key and a dab il doya JB.

Best to all Bullstone
BULLSTONE is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
Yankee45, I think Rick M meant a bit of BS on S&W's part for putting it in the manual not BS on your part.
Sure! He was good with me in the past when I briefly communicated with him. I abbreviated my post above to better reflect that.
Yankee45 is offline  
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee45 View Post
Rick M, No BS from me but from the M&P Manual which states that the rear site is nonadjustable. As the OP messed up his rear site while attempting to adjust it I suspect that S&W may give him a hard time about putting on a new site without charging him, so I alerted him to that statement while I hope that they take care of him.

Yes, I too, have replaced the striker block plunger on my Shield after removing the rear site and there is a small amount of adjustment for the rear site.

Yes Sir; that was not directed at you (guess my comment wasn't clear enough), but at such a statement from the manufacturer.
Rick M is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP SHIELD Pistols

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reflex sight on my Shield steved13 MP SHIELD Pistols 45 April 26th, 2017 02:52 PM
Installing an after market rear sight Diego MP SHIELD Pistols 20 March 25th, 2017 06:42 AM
Ported Performance Center .45 Shield Coming & Front Sight Jump? leadfoot44 MP SHIELD Pistols 21 January 14th, 2017 07:41 AM
.22C, Rear sight pops out Dougvidak MP Pistol Tech Help 2 September 18th, 2016 02:02 PM
Shield Rear Sight Removal Rick M MP SHIELD Pistols 9 June 29th, 2016 01:31 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.