DPM Mechanical Recoil Systems for the M&P 9mm

This is a discussion on DPM Mechanical Recoil Systems for the M&P 9mm within the MP Talk forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; Has anyone installed a DPM mechanical recoil system in their M & P 9mm pistol? If you have, can you please share your experience (i.e., ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 96
Has anyone installed a DPM mechanical recoil system in their M & P 9mm pistol? If you have, can you please share your experience (i.e., likes or dislikes) about the product or any other feedback?
Hi5_0 is offline  
Old November 26th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #2
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Hi ,I am new to the forum.



Sorry for my bad english!



I have a M&P Pro and put in DPM recoil system for Glock 17(just for experiment). Pistol run normaly, but recoil is direffent - less vertical flip,more back hit and little close group by double tap and folow up shots!

The stock recoil spring and rod is SAME like Glock 17. They a INTERCHANGEBAL !!!!
Argus is offline  
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 757
Gentlemen: "New, improved, revolutionary or tactical" accessories primary purpose is to separate you from your money. Their actual functionality is generally questionable and there have been instances where the product actually damaged the weapons. I've never really understood the fascination people have with tinkering with the recoil systems of their pistols-of all brands.



Seriously, manufacturers spend a lot of time and money developing weapons systems so that they strike a good balance between performance and long life. As an example, the 1911 weapons system functioned just fine for decades with factory specified springs. Then the system started to see widespread use as a combat competition pistol (late 1970's) and hordes of folks crawled out of the woodwork to capitalize on the popularity with a vast assortment of widgets. Many of them not as good as what the pistol came out of the factory with, but they made money for those who peddled them.



Spending money on training and practice ammo is better than spending money on gadgets.
wr moore is offline  
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #4
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus' post='232035' date='Nov 26 2009, 03:19 PM
Hi ,I am new to the forum.



Sorry for my bad english!



I have a M&P Pro and put in DPM recoil system for Glock 17(just for experiment). Pistol run normaly, but recoil is direffent - less vertical flip,more back hit and little close group by double tap and folow up shots!

The stock recoil spring and rod is SAME like Glock 17. They a INTERCHANGEBAL !!!!


Thank you for your reply. How many rounds have you fired using the DPM system thus far?
Hi5_0 is offline  
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr moore' post='232052' date='Nov 26 2009, 09:08 PM
Gentlemen: "New, improved, revolutionary or tactical" accessories primary purpose is to separate you from your money. Their actual functionality is generally questionable and there have been instances where the product actually damaged the weapons. I've never really understood the fascination people have with tinkering with the recoil systems of their pistols-of all brands.



Seriously, manufacturers spend a lot of time and money developing weapons systems so that they strike a good balance between performance and long life. As an example, the 1911 weapons system functioned just fine for decades with factory specified springs. Then the system started to see widespread use as a combat competition pistol (late 1970's) and hordes of folks crawled out of the woodwork to capitalize on the popularity with a vast assortment of widgets. Many of them not as good as what the pistol came out of the factory with, but they made money for those who peddled them.



Spending money on training and practice ammo is better than spending money on gadgets.


Thank you for your reply. I just wanted to get some feedback on this recoil system. It was recommended by Jeff Quinn from GunBlast.com and also from some tactical law enforcement agencies. I contacted S & W and the person who answered my email didn't know anything about the DPM system but did say it may cause some ejector problems. The US dealer had also emailed me saying that they had sold the system throughout the US and haven't had any negative feedback. Obviously, I did get one and installed it in the pistol. I noticed the action on the slide is softer, but DPM also supplied a more rigid spring if I feel it necessary to change it. I'll fire some rounds at the range to see if there is a really big difference. Again, thanks for your reply.
Hi5_0 is offline  
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #6
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
[quote name='Hi5_0' date='Nov 26 2009, 10:36 PM' post='232058']

Thank you for your reply. How many rounds have you fired using the DPM system thus far?

[/quote





1500 round - without any type of malfunction. The DPM arrive with two main springs - white and welloy. I use the welloy spring=

The white is for .40 S&W caliber gun.



In my country - DPM sistems cost 80 USD !
Argus is offline  
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #7
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15
Looking forward to a report back from you Hi5.



I for one support anything that gives you an advantage as long as it doesn't negatively effect reliability or act as a crutch. I've never heard of the system until this thread, but googled and found it mentioned on a few other forums. I only found one person who has bought it say that they didn't notice a difference. Several others say it's an improvement and a couple say it didn't fit and had to return it. I haven't heard anyone mention any problems with reliability, but there's not too much talk out there about it in general.
adfinder23 is offline  
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus' post='232099' date='Nov 27 2009, 08:06 AM
The DPM arrive with two main springs - white and welloy. I use the welloy spring=

The white is for .40 S&W caliber gun.
Does welloy mean yellow?
SD26 is offline  
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #9
 
BuzzKill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLEVELAND
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfinder23' post='232114' date='Nov 27 2009, 12:21 PM
Looking forward to a report back from you Hi5.



I for one support anything that gives you an advantage as long as it doesn't negatively effect reliability or act as a crutch. I've never heard of the system until this thread, but googled and found it mentioned on a few other forums. I only found one person who has bought it say that they didn't notice a difference. Several others say it's an improvement and a couple say it didn't fit and had to return it. I haven't heard anyone mention any problems with reliability, but there's not too much talk out there about it in general.


I bought one several years ago and installed on my M&P 9mm. Since, I have run about 3,000 rounds through the pistol and I like the result. Less muzzle flip and more accuracy - my wrist is a little weak from an old football injury. I had one configured for a Sig P239 too - that one has shown little difference -- could be the shorter barrel?? Overall, I feel better with it installed and that is what counts, no?
BuzzKill is offline  
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #10
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26' post='232119' date='Nov 27 2009, 07:38 PM
Does welloy mean yellow?




Correct. I posted before - MY ENGLISH is BAD. I am from East European country!
Argus is offline  
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #11
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus' post='232125' date='Nov 27 2009, 03:23 PM
Correct. I posted before - MY ENGLISH is BAD. I am from East European country!
You're doing fine.
SD26 is offline  
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #12
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus' post='232125' date='Nov 27 2009, 09:23 PM
Correct. I posted before - MY ENGLISH is BAD. I am from East European country!




Its okay, I understood you.
Hi5_0 is offline  
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #13
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKill' post='232120' date='Nov 27 2009, 07:16 PM
I bought one several years ago and installed on my M&P 9mm. Since, I have run about 3,000 rounds through the pistol and I like the result. Less muzzle flip and more accuracy - my wrist is a little weak from an old football injury. I had one configured for a Sig P239 too - that one has shown little difference -- could be the shorter barrel?? Overall, I feel better with it installed and that is what counts, no?


Sounds great. I'm a little disappointed though that it didn't work for the P239, because if your short barrel theory is correct then its effect on an M&Pc may be similar.
adfinder23 is offline  
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #14
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfinder23' post='232114' date='Nov 27 2009, 06:21 PM
Looking forward to a report back from you Hi5.



I for one support anything that gives you an advantage as long as it doesn't negatively effect reliability or act as a crutch. I've never heard of the system until this thread, but googled and found it mentioned on a few other forums. I only found one person who has bought it say that they didn't notice a difference. Several others say it's an improvement and a couple say it didn't fit and had to return it. I haven't heard anyone mention any problems with reliability, but there's not too much talk out there about it in general.


I went to the range today and shot about 150 rounds with the DPM recoil system with no ejection issues. First of all I did notice that the recoil was less with the system. I did fire 2oo rounds using the stock spring/recoil rod so I did get a feel on how both felt. As far as accuracy, I think I have to work on that more on my part; sight alignment, breath control, position, grip and concentration. In my opinion, I think the system works. I'll just have to get more use to the DPM system and fire about a few hundred more rounds and I'll pretty much have the accuracy part up to standard or better.
Hi5_0 is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM   #15
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Bay/Nor Cal/PRK
Posts: 64
Hmmmm, looks kind of interesting. Good info at GunBlast as someone mentioned.

Wonder why they don't have it for the M&P 45?

Hope people continue to post their experiences here !
theneko is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM   #16
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by theneko' post='232668' date='Dec 3 2009, 02:26 AM
Hmmmm, looks kind of interesting. Good info at GunBlast as someone mentioned.

Wonder why they don't have it for the M&P 45?

Hope people continue to post their experiences here !


I went into the DPM product section and the recoil system is available for the Smith & Wesson M & P 45. Just thought you'd like to know...
Hi5_0 is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:04 AM   #17
 
dances with guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by theneko' post='232668' date='Dec 3 2009, 01:26 AM
Hmmmm, looks kind of interesting. Good info at GunBlast as someone mentioned.

Wonder why they don't have it for the M&P 45?

Hope people continue to post their experiences here !




i like to read gunblast for entertainment/informational purposes. at the same time, that guy's opinion has exactly zero credibility with me.



he gives everything rave reviews, so companies will keep sending him free shit. you ever notice, he's never tested any gun or accessory that had any probs whatsoever? he must be the luckiest hillbilly in west virginia, should buy a lottery ticket



so, i have no faith in what the gunblast guy has to say about this DPM recoil system. if it was better, why didn't s&w put a similar system in their guns in the first place?
dances with guns is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:48 AM   #18
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: worldwide :)
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by dances with guns' post='232691' date='Dec 3 2009, 05:04 AM
i like to read gunblast for entertainment/informational purposes. at the same time, that guy's opinion has exactly zero credibility with me.



he gives everything rave reviews, so companies will keep sending him free shit. you ever notice, he's never tested any gun or accessory that had any probs whatsoever? he must be the luckiest hillbilly in west virginia, should buy a lottery ticket



so, i have no faith in what the gunblast guy has to say about this DPM recoil system. if it was better, why didn't s&w put a similar system in their guns in the first place?


maybe because they didnt think of it and maybe because theres patents on the design.
tony413 is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:05 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
JeffWard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr moore' post='232052' date='Nov 26 2009, 09:08 PM
Gentlemen: "New, improved, revolutionary or tactical" accessories primary purpose is to separate you from your money. Their actual functionality is generally questionable and there have been instances where the product actually damaged the weapons. I've never really understood the fascination people have with tinkering with the recoil systems of their pistols-of all brands.



Seriously, manufacturers spend a lot of time and money developing weapons systems so that they strike a good balance between performance and long life. As an example, the 1911 weapons system functioned just fine for decades with factory specified springs. Then the system started to see widespread use as a combat competition pistol (late 1970's) and hordes of folks crawled out of the woodwork to capitalize on the popularity with a vast assortment of widgets. Many of them not as good as what the pistol came out of the factory with, but they made money for those who peddled them.



Spending money on training and practice ammo is better than spending money on gadgets.


For a self defense weapon... I completely agree. Except for the laser (and the complete Pro Series trigger block stolen from my Pro LOL), my M&P9c is all S&W.



For a competition gun... I'm glad my M&P is tweaked to hell... (trigger weight, reset, over-travel; guide-rod, recoil spring, base-plates, grip tape...)



I wouldn't carry my competition gun for defense, and I wouldn't try to compete with my 9c. These accessories have a place, and a purpose. As should your selection of gun...



Jeff
JeffWard is offline  
Old December 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Kraigster414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Himalayas
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr moore' post='232052' date='Nov 26 2009, 10:08 PM
Gentlemen: "New, improved, revolutionary or tactical" accessories primary purpose is to separate you from your money. Their actual functionality is generally questionable and there have been instances where the product actually damaged the weapons. I've never really understood the fascination people have with tinkering with the recoil systems of their pistols-of all brands.



Seriously, manufacturers spend a lot of time and money developing weapons systems so that they strike a good balance between performance and long life. As an example, the 1911 weapons system functioned just fine for decades with factory specified springs. Then the system started to see widespread use as a combat competition pistol (late 1970's) and hordes of folks crawled out of the woodwork to capitalize on the popularity with a vast assortment of widgets. Many of them not as good as what the pistol came out of the factory with, but they made money for those who peddled them.



Spending money on training and practice ammo is better than spending money on gadgets.


As often as we hear from folks touting the merits of this after-market gizmo or that after-market gizmo, we hear from the detractors responding inevitably with, "if it ain't broke don't fix it", "if it ain't stock you're playin' with fire....spend your money on ammo" etc. etc. Bottom line, there are after-market parts and there are after-market parts. Many work and have no negative affect on reliability or safety, and in fact can improve the weapon's overall performance and your shooting enjoyment. If this product for which I know nothing about but have heard positive things has in fact "actually damaged the weapons" as stated above please quantify Mr. Moore. What happened, what model guns, how many involved, and what exactly was the nature of the damage? Thank you.
Kraigster414 is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP Talk


Search tags for this page

dpm recoil m&p

,
dpm recoil reduction system m&p pro
,
dpm recoil reduction system reliability for glock
,
dpm recoil reduction system sig p239
,
dpm recoil system review on m&p
,
dpm systems for m&p 9l
,

dpm systems m&p

,
m p 9mm recoil reduction
,
m&p 9 dpm
,
m&p 9c dmp
,
m&p 9mm compact dpm recoil reduction system for sale
,
sig dpm systems
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTS: Used DPM Mechanical Recoil System 9mm Standard Hi5_0 Classifieds 1 August 8th, 2010 09:28 AM
Any experience with the DPM Systems recoil reducer? strostro MP Pistol Accessories 2 August 4th, 2008 02:14 AM
WTF?! I had my very first mechanical issue with my M&P! mity2 MP Pistol Tech Help 7 February 25th, 2008 10:14 AM
DPM Systems Recoil System 243ww MP Talk 12 October 24th, 2007 07:21 PM
DPM Systems Magnetomechanical Recoil System cachaco MP Gunsmithing 10 March 16th, 2007 07:13 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.