M&P in 357 sig. - MP-Pistol Forum

M&P in 357 sig.

This is a discussion on M&P in 357 sig. within the MP Talk forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; Does anyone have any solid experience with a M&P in 357 sig, either the early factory models or one with a aftermarket barrel. Had a ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2017, 09:09 AM   #1
Member
 
Rockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 78
M&P in 357 sig.

Does anyone have any solid experience with a M&P in 357 sig, either the early factory models or one with a aftermarket barrel.

Had a few chances to pick one up, size does not matter, I just have a few questions concerning reliability and so forth. I know the North Carolina Highway Patrol had some issues but they seemed to be all place as to what went wrong so I'm taking that one with a grain of salt for now.
Rockets is offline  
Old March 11th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Keeter1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,215
I never had any issues with mine.
Keeter1911 is offline  
Old March 12th, 2017, 06:18 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: virginia
Posts: 34
I have put over 1k through my factory .357 sig compact, it's my daily cc. I carry it in a Raven Concealment Van Guard so no holster to keep out dirt and sweat. Mine eats any available ammo I can find. Highly recommend the round in the M&P pistols
I also have a 40 l that I converted over to .357 and it too works as it should.
browningv308 is offline  
 
Old March 12th, 2017, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
owinchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,320
I have FS40 that I bought StormLake ,357sig barrel. I have the gun since 2007 and the .357 barrel for 2 years. Have never any trouble with this gun.
owinchell is offline  
Old March 12th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #5
Member
 
taroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 40
Mine runs perfect.
Favorite load is 124 grain flatpoint at 1345 F/S.

Last edited by taroman; March 12th, 2017 at 09:27 AM.
taroman is offline  
Old March 13th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by owinchell View Post
I have FS40 that I bought StormLake ,357sig barrel. I have the gun since 2007 and the .357 barrel for 2 years. Have never any trouble with this gun.
i have an OEM 357 barrel for my 40FS, never a problem.
other than how much 357 Sig ammo cost, compared to 40 and 9.

since i have the SL 40 to 9 conversion barrel, it's more cost effective to shoot 40 or 9mm.
bikendan is offline  
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 938
When converting from .40 to the 9mm, dont you have to replace the slide as well, to do so..?
PaPow is offline  
Old March 13th, 2017, 10:26 AM   #8
Member
 
Rockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 78
You folks are great.
Two last questions.
1. Do standard 40 mags work flawlessly, (if not are 357 sig mag still available?)
2. Can you apex one of these (dumb question I think but gotta ask)
Rockets is offline  
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets View Post
You folks are great.
Two last questions.
1. Do standard 40 mags work flawlessly, (if not are 357 sig mag still available?)
2. Can you apex one of these (dumb question I think but gotta ask)
The .40 mags i believe are the same mags for the 357sig.
Not a dumb question, Yes, you can APEX it.
PaPow is offline  
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:09 AM   #10
Member
 
Rockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
The .40 mags i believe are the same mags for the 357sig.
Not a dumb question, Yes, you can APEX it.
Thanks, One pops up on gun broker every few months or so, normally for $400-$500, a real deal since most discontinued 357 sigs went way up.

I'm in next time I find a nice one, thought I could Apex it but that was a deal killer if I could not, long bony fingers leads me to be very trigger sensitive.
Rockets is offline  
Old March 14th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets View Post
Thanks, One pops up on gun broker every few months or so, normally for $400-$500, a real deal since most discontinued 357 sigs went way up.

I'm in next time I find a nice one, thought I could Apex it but that was a deal killer if I could not, long bony fingers leads me to be very trigger sensitive.
I always wanted to try/buy a 357sig caliber, but the ammo is scarce and the price is crazy for it in my area. One other thing that has kept me from just going out and nabbing one up, the case`s are bottled neck`d. I`m not a fan of bottle neck pistol cartridges... mainly because i`m a reloader. I shoot ALOT..! The 357sig caliber is not cheap to reload, especially just for plinking alot like i do, the 9mm fits the bill much easier. Now if you buy the sig357 just for a carry gun only, its a pretty hot caliber as far as FPS is concerned...!
PaPow is offline  
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:04 AM   #12
Member
 
Rockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
I always wanted to try/buy a 357sig caliber, but the ammo is scarce and the price is crazy for it in my area. One other thing that has kept me from just going out and nabbing one up, the case`s are bottled neck`d. I`m not a fan of bottle neck pistol cartridges... mainly because i`m a reloader. I shoot ALOT..! The 357sig caliber is not cheap to reload, especially just for plinking alot like i do, the 9mm fits the bill much easier. Now if you buy the sig357 just for a carry gun only, its a pretty hot caliber as far as FPS is concerned...!
It's high all over, I normally take a 9 and 357 to the range and blow one box of 357 and shoot the 9 as much as I want. Most companies dumbed down the recommend loads early on to the extent that a 9 +p+ was about equal. (Why i do not know. )

Seems everyone hates reloading it, I'm not a reloader but that's what you hear over and over.

This load was a game changer for me as it put the round back on the map by honoring the intended purpose of the 357 sig, mimicking the 357 mag in the 124 grain range.

Impressive stuff.


1500 FPS, 635 ft lbs.
Rockets is offline  
Old March 15th, 2017, 07:17 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 147
If you buy ammo from an LEO supply house you can buy 50 round boxes for about what the retail store wants for 20/25 round boxes. Check this link, it is were I buy all my self-defense ammo. They run sales from time to time, also.
https://www.streichers.com/shooting/...n-ammo/.357sig
babue is offline  
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets View Post
It's high all over, I normally take a 9 and 357 to the range and blow one box of 357 and shoot the 9 as much as I want. Most companies dumbed down the recommend loads early on to the extent that a 9 +p+ was about equal. (Why i do not know. )

Seems everyone hates reloading it, I'm not a reloader but that's what you hear over and over.

This load was a game changer for me as it put the round back on the map by honoring the intended purpose of the 357 sig, mimicking the 357 mag in the 124 grain range.

Impressive stuff.

1500 FPS, 635 ft lbs.
I agree with everything you said... it was an AWESOME cartridge, until they played around with changing it, dumbed it down as you say. Personally, i think the gun manufacturers are the ones who had ammo makers dumb it down. In my own opinion, i think it was effecting sales of other calibers... now ya know we cant have that going on... they had to throw in the liberal approach, everybody is equal, everybody deserves a blue ribbon.

Yeah i dont know anyone around my neck of the woods that continues to reload it. Most people wont & dont go target shooting with it. But i STILL love the round itself just because its an asswhoopin round. Most impressive round in a 9mm diameter vs 357mag.

Most my LGS`s dont even keep the 357sig ammo in stock anymore... if you want any, you have to order it. And being we live in a communist state (NY), people can`t even buy it on line anymore. So alotta 357sig`s are sitting in gun safes and not taken out for their daily exercise anymore. I see this cartridge going away soon. I think the .40 cal might be next. Alot of people are buying 9mm over the .40cal`s these days.
PaPow is offline  
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:11 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by babue View Post
If you buy ammo from an LEO supply house you can buy 50 round boxes for about what the retail store wants for 20/25 round boxes. Check this link, it is were I buy all my self-defense ammo. They run sales from time to time, also.
https://www.streichers.com/shooting/...n-ammo/.357sig
I live in a communist state (NY) Wont do me any good, New Yorker`s cant order ANY ammo on line.
PaPow is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > MP Talk

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My "New to Me" M&P FS anbuyoshi MP Full Size Pistols 11 February 5th, 2017 05:00 PM
M&P Shield 8rd Magazine for 9mm $17 Corsar66 Deals 1 January 1st, 2017 10:27 AM
Just joined the M&P Family with a Shield 9mm RocketFoot New Users 9 December 29th, 2016 10:06 AM
WTS - Ameriglo Pro i-Dot U-Notch Sights for S&W M&P Full-Size and M&P Shield Dave707 Classifieds 3 October 21st, 2016 08:58 PM
New to M&P, advice on my new M&P 9. 9MP MP Full Size Pistols 37 October 16th, 2016 11:27 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.