Front sight on M&P Pro Series 9L Ported - MP-Pistol Forum

Front sight on M&P Pro Series 9L Ported

This is a discussion on Front sight on M&P Pro Series 9L Ported within the New Users forums, part of the Lobby category; Hey guys i need some advice on my weapon. Is there some way to remove the front sight on my M&P Pro Series 9L Ported? ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Lobby > New Users

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: north dakota
Posts: 1
Front sight on M&P Pro Series 9L Ported

Hey guys i need some advice on my weapon. Is there some way to remove the front sight on my M&P Pro Series 9L Ported? it doesnt look like there is but there is probably some way to do that you guys know of that I dont.
moore0415 is offline  
Old February 15th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #2
G56
Site Staff
 
G56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 8,825
Welcome to our little corner of the net.
G56 is offline  
Old February 15th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
MSG Glenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,226
Welcome from Wisconsin!

Thinking the ported is not any different than a regular M&P the best way to remove (or move) the sight is with a sight pusher. I've never needed to do it but that's what I've heard.
MSG Glenn is offline  
 
Old February 15th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 946
This is for the tall sights... if you have the shorter standard sights, a regular sight pusher will work fine.

You`ll have to use a sight pusher that will allow the taller 9L sight to fit inside the pusher framework correctly. I tried the MGW sight pusher, and the S&W sight pusher... neither would work, the 9L sight is to tall to fit inside the pusher. There are some other ebay sight pushers out there that WILL work, BUT, you will have to fiddle around getting them to hold the slide. Use painters tape on your slide so you dont scratch or dig it up. I`ll post a link in here of the style i use on my 9L`s. I suggest you drop some thin gun oil on the sight dovetail the night before you want to push the sight off the slide, they are on there real tight. Allow the oil to soak into the dovetail overnight. The dovetail may have a slight taper to it too, so use a set of calipers and measure each side to see if you have taper. Push the sight out towards the larger taper. Push it back in the dovetail the same direction you took the sight out. Do NOT push on the top of the sight, you WILL snap it clean off the gun. Only push the sight off at the lowest part of the sight closest to the dovetail.

Universal sight tool pusher for handguns front/rear
Universal sight tool pusher for handguns front/rear, Glock 1911 and most others | eBay
PaPow is online now  
Old February 15th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 946

PaPow is online now  
Old February 15th, 2017, 11:38 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: WA
Posts: 197
Welcome.

The front sight is in a dovetail and can be removed with a sight pusher or vise, non-marring punch, and hammer. I have the sight pusher that PaPow linked to and do not recommend it.
BennyRayRiddle is offline  
Old February 16th, 2017, 06:07 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyRayRiddle View Post
Welcome.

The front sight is in a dovetail and can be removed with a sight pusher or vise, non-marring punch, and hammer. I have the sight pusher that PaPow linked to and do not recommend it.
If your not handy with sight work, then i would agree that the cheap pusher isn`t so great... but if you KNOW what your doing, it works just perfectly fine. There`s not a huge choice (budget wise) for guns with tall suppressor sights, but the one i linked in here, does work with tall sights. The price of $40 bucks is easier to swallow, rather than spending $150/$200 for something you`ll only use just once, not to mention, most of the high priced pushers only fit a specific gun. I have several sight pushers that only fit the guns that i bought them for. I got tired of buying specific expensive pushers, and the universal $40 one fits everything i work on. Thats when i would recommend a person to just have a competent gunsmith change out the sights for you instead. I`m not a fan of the old way, by beating them off with a hammer/punch... the proper way is to use a sight pusher.
PaPow is online now  
Old February 16th, 2017, 06:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,757
The JMT sight pusher I have would work fine.

http://www.sightpushertool.com

The one I have is the one with two big wing nuts on the side.
Rick M is offline  
Old February 16th, 2017, 06:35 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
owinchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,320
Welcome from Oregon!
owinchell is offline  
Old February 16th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: WA
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
If your not handy with sight work, then i would agree that the cheap pusher isn`t so great... but if you KNOW what your doing, it works just perfectly fine. There`s not a huge choice (budget wise) for guns with tall suppressor sights, but the one i linked in here, does work with tall sights. The price of $40 bucks is easier to swallow, rather than spending $150/$200 for something you`ll only use just once, not to mention, most of the high priced pushers only fit a specific gun. I have several sight pushers that only fit the guns that i bought them for. I got tired of buying specific expensive pushers, and the universal $40 one fits everything i work on. Thats when i would recommend a person to just have a competent gunsmith change out the sights for you instead. I`m not a fan of the old way, by beating them off with a hammer/punch... the proper way is to use a sight pusher.
It does work. It just takes an extreme amount of torque due to the threading on the pusher bolt. Doing my Shield sights was brutal.
BennyRayRiddle is offline  
Old February 17th, 2017, 03:09 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 178
I have the cheap pusher and it works. The Shield sights were pretty tight. I might have used a hammer to get them started. The sight pusher really shines in installation. I did slightly booger the rear of slide as the pusher was against the frame in the dovetail. I notice it, but most do not not. No other marring.

I soak the slide/sights in PB Blaster before trying tor remove them. Kroil would probably work better.
lhawkins is online now  
Old February 17th, 2017, 05:25 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawkins View Post
I have the cheap pusher and it works. The Shield sights were pretty tight. I might have used a hammer to get them started. The sight pusher really shines in installation. I did slightly booger the rear of slide as the pusher was against the frame in the dovetail. I notice it, but most do not not. No other marring.

I soak the slide/sights in PB Blaster before trying tor remove them. Kroil would probably work better.
Painters tape would have saved your gun from damage. Either lube works very good.
PaPow is online now  
Old February 17th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Ag76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hill Country of Texas
Posts: 678
Welcome to the forum from Texas!
Ag76 is offline  
Old February 17th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
Painters tape would have saved your gun from damage. Either lube works very good.
Unfortunately painters tape does not fix attentiveness!

I used tape. The problem was when installing the rear sight, I did not have the pusher exactly centered on the sight. As i pushed it, the pusher caught the front of the dove tail. I actually moved some of the dove tail metal.

I also find Delrin blocks work great, but I always still use tape!
lhawkins is online now  
Old February 17th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
PaPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawkins View Post
Unfortunately painters tape does not fix attentiveness!

I used tape. The problem was when installing the rear sight, I did not have the pusher exactly centered on the sight. As i pushed it, the pusher caught the front of the dove tail. I actually moved some of the dove tail metal.

I also find Delrin blocks work great, but I always still use tape!
Ohhhhh ok, i dont think i read that part in your original post.
Yeah i can see that happening for sure if your not watching for it.
PaPow is online now  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Lobby > New Users

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
blurry front sight? turfgun MP SHIELD Pistols 9 February 14th, 2017 08:59 AM
Ported Performance Center .45 Shield Coming & Front Sight Jump? leadfoot44 MP SHIELD Pistols 21 January 14th, 2017 07:41 AM
Traded! Thanks M&P 9L Pro Series complete upper Jolivan Classifieds 0 January 5th, 2017 02:04 PM
New M&P CORE 9L Ported - Ammo Issues...???? PaPow MP Full Size Pistols 30 October 22nd, 2016 04:37 AM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.