Poll: Was your M&P reliable out of the box? - Page 3 - MP-Pistol Forum

Poll: Was your M&P reliable out of the box?

This is a discussion on Poll: Was your M&P reliable out of the box? within the Polls forums, part of the Smith & Wesson MP Forum category; I just passed the 1400 round mark and have ZERO failures failures to report. M&P9 serial #MPHxxxx....


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > Polls

View Poll Results: Poll: Was your M&P reliable out of the box?
100% reliable -no failures 1,054 90.24%
Some initial failures due to bad mags 12 1.03%
Some initial failures due to faulty workmanship 38 3.25%
Failures which could not be resolved 12 1.03%
Some initial failures due to tight fitting parts, etc. 39 3.34%
Failures which started occurring later, after the break-in period 13 1.11%
Voters: 1168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #31
CulinaryCanine
 
chefdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 763
I just passed the 1400 round mark and have ZERO failures failures to report. M&P9 serial #MPHxxxx.
chefdog is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWeiss' post='117130' date='Mar 16 2008, 05:35 AM
I'm in construction and I work with 2x4's 8 to 10 hours a day so the feel of the Glock is very familiar. That doesn't mean it I wood {sic} recommend it for a personal defense weapon.


I had to stop reading at this point. If I laugh any harder I'll probably lose control of my bladder.



Quote:
Doesn't take a Rocket Surgeon to follow that logic, but it easily confounds a troll.


Excellent. I need to remember that so I can steal it sometime. "Rocket Surgeon" ... excellent.



I don't even remember what this thread was about any more.
ToddG is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP40-PopPop' post='117161' date='Mar 16 2008, 02:08 PM
Davids "logic" is quite sound. You have stumbled into a forum of gun owners that is pretty much specific to one model, the S&W M&P series. It appears that approximately 94% of those who took the time to answer the poll that YOU initiated have no issues with their pistols, and yet you call that "suspicious". If that's not an expert endorsement, I don't know what is, unless you think everyone here is lying. Ask yourself this: What purpose would that serve? My guess is that you either work for, sell, own stock in Glock or you just like to type. Either way, the M&P (not to be confused with some of S&W's earlier model semi-autos) is what it is. A reliable weapon at a very reasonable price made in AMERICA by an AMERICAN company that stands behind it's products, and, of a random sampling, at least 94% of owners have had NO issues with their pistols. Don't know what more you could ask for. Go to your local dealer and rent one. If you don't like it, buy something else. Please check back when you find the "perfect" firearm. I want one, too.


Let me just try and answer all the "irritated" replies, including yours:



- Your assumptions and judgment of me are completely flawed. I've shot and owned S&W's for close to 30 years, probably a lot longer than many of you. I'm loyal to the brand. I always buy American products when I have a choice. I purchased a Glock about two years ago, at a time when S&W (or any other American manufacturer) had nothing comparable and I had no real choice. If I were in a similar situation again today (minus my recently aquired knowledge of Glocks) I would likely take the risk and buy the M&P, since it offers the features I need, and it's American made. However, today I'm in a different position. I have a good reliable firearm in the Glock, but I am also interested in the M&P for the above reasons as well as a couple others. I can afford to be more careful, do more research, and perhaps wait a while until the factory has had a chance to iron out their bugs.



- I don't believe Glocks are perfect and never said that. I used the term "PERFECTION" in my earlier post in the sarcastic sense. My particular sample of Glock has indeed been completely reliable for me, but there are of course samples out there which are less than "perfect". I never intended for Glock to be part of this thread - it was just a side comment I made sarcastically. But you guys are so paranoid, ready to jump on anyone for the smallest reason.



- At the time I made the "suspicious" comment, the poll had 13 entries I believe, and EVERYONE at that point had reported 100% reliability. I viewed that as slightly suspicious only because there are many people in this forum who have reported various types of failures, and since such people are more prone to reading the forum, I kind of expected to see more of them show up in the poll earlier. Guess I was wrong there. (I see today there are 5-6 (?) failures reported). Overall the poll hasn't attracted many responders so obviously its results are not very meaningful anyway, one way or the other.



- I NEVER accused anyone of lying. How can anyone say that just because the early results of the poll looked slanted to me? All I meant was that it appeared to me that an insufficient (or incomplete) group of people had responded at that point. Obviously any poll like this that reports 100% perfection must be invalid in some way. You guys really need to cool down.



- As I stated at least twice in this thread, I've been burned by a defective S&W 4006 sample that had problems the factory could not resolve. The situation was not dissimilar from today - a new model, just out on market for a short time, etc. You guys out there who just say "stop whining and just buy the thing" obviously haven't had to deal with something like that. Today when I read of all these types of FTF's in the M&P's it certainly makes me think twice. But as I said, I'm loyal to S&W, and because of that am willing to consider taking the plunge again with another auto. But I would be foolish not to at least do some research first.



- My comment "strange logic" was referring to the fact that one poster was apparently frustrated and irritated that I was unwilling to just "buy the thing, shoot it, and have fun". When I explained that I've had a bad experience and wanted some more information first, his response was "then don't buy it". Seems strange to me that people object to someone asking a few questions and doing some research up front before buying. That's what I meant by "strange logic".



In summary, I appreciate all those who have responded to the poll with useful data and comments. Those who have just turned it into a dumb Glock vs. S&W discussion, accused me of calling people liars, etc - I'm not too surprised, there is always a bunch of such people out there making assumptions about others with no foundation. Too bad, because it really detracts from these forums.
wheel is offline  
 
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #34
Shooter McLovin
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: OHIO
Posts: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel' post='117219' date='Mar 16 2008, 10:22 AM
Let me just try and answer all the "irritated" replies, including yours:



Today when I read of all these types of FTF's in the M&P's it certainly makes me think twice.


A gun should never have a ftf in its life? All factory ammo is perfect out of the box? + I saw very few ftf posts in this thread. A glock is probably going to have a better time feeding ammo due to the design of the feedramp and chamber area. The casing in a glock is also not fully supported because of this as well.....which can lead to KB's. I'd rather have a fully seated casing and risk the chance of the very in-frequent ftf than have my gun kb in a fire fight. I can remedy a ftf alot quicker than an exploded gun. I believe to fully avoid an ftf one must use a revolver....it just happens from time to time with MOST semi-autos.
Necritan is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #35
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel' post='117219' date='Mar 16 2008, 06:22 PM
My particular sample of Glock has indeed been completely reliable for me, but there are of course samples out there which are less than "perfect".






My particular sample of the M&P has indeed been completely reliable for me, but there are of course samples out there which are less than "perfect".
David is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by David' post='117232' date='Mar 16 2008, 05:41 PM
My particular sample of the M&P has indeed been completely reliable for me, but there are of course samples out there which are less than "perfect".


And I agree completely. But this thread is not about comparing Glocks's to S&W's. My question is, since the M&P is a new design with relatively little production experience, what percentage of NIB units are going to exhibit problems compared to other mature models within S&W, or other makes?



I don't understand why this is such a hard concept for people to grasp. Only a fool believes a mechanical device can be 100% reliable. I'm simply trying to find out how good the M&P's are at this point in their early life. And the only way to get a good answer is to question a broad sampling of owners.
wheel is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #37
 
FoxMulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 387
Bought my M&P 9c , brought it home gave it a good clean and lube.

Been hit in the forehead with a few hot brass but no other troubles.



Except.......

The wife and i went out of town and my M&P got out of the safe, threw an EPIC party

2 kegs, bathtub full of 191 jungle juice and fruit.

Called a few ex80's rocker friends of mine then made tons of 1-900 phone calls.



I now take the damn thing with me whenever i go out.



Seriously your asking an internet forum created for Smith & Wesson's M&P not many here are

going to tell you there's suck. If it did they would have sold it and moved on.

Plus, how well do you know some of these people your asking advice from?



That dude that works with 2x4's all day might also use his M&P as a hammer to nail those together

more than likely he doesn't but the point is you never know.

Some may not even own ANY handguns just say they do.



I've heard tale of Todd G running around competitions just pointing his finger and yelling "BanG"



**as for a quick answer.... Yes it seems most of the bugs have been worked out, if not S&W has PROVEN itself

in going out of the way to fix or correct any troubles you might have or find**
FoxMulder is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
YukonGlocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Yukon, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel' post='117239' date='Mar 16 2008, 01:06 PM
...what percentage of NIB units are going to exhibit problems compared to other mature models within S&W, or other makes?...


You say this is your question.

Well, this poll will not provide an answer to that.
YukonGlocker is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #39
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel' post='117239' date='Mar 16 2008, 07:06 PM
My question is, since the M&P is a new design with relatively little production experience, what percentage of NIB units are going to exhibit problems compared to other mature models within S&W, or other makes?


16.4%
David is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #40
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by David' post='117257' date='Mar 16 2008, 03:06 PM
16.4%


Numbers don't lie!
MP40-PopPop is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
YukonGlocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Yukon, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,679
Let's keep this on topic...
YukonGlocker is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #42
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonGlocker' post='117270' date='Mar 16 2008, 08:38 PM
Let's keep this on topic...




my apologies.
David is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #43
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tide Water VA
Posts: 51
I have a 9C and full size 9. I answered the poll on teh basis of my full size which is an MPZ XXXX series. I have about 500rds down the tube and it runs and runs just fine. I did do a few tweaks such as polishing the rough spots off of the slide lock and slide lock notch as it was a &()&(&^ to drop the slide using the lever. I have a 9C that is an early series MPL XXXX and it did not feed JHP ammot worth beans. However 15 minutes of polishing the feed ramp and breaking the edges on the little "horns" on either side with 800 grit sandpapaer and then polishing. It too is now 100%, I did nto respond on the basis of the 9C because Smith has made numerous revisions is response to detected problems.



further there are 5 or 6 people shooting IDPA with these at my area club. I have not seen any failures in competition. for some reason if it is going to screw up competition brings it out. Been there done that, cussed.
FixGuns is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel' post='117219' date='Mar 16 2008, 01:22 PM
- I don't believe Glocks are perfect and never said that. I used the term "PERFECTION" in my earlier post in the sarcastic sense. My particular sample of Glock has indeed been completely reliable for me, but there are of course samples out there which are less than "perfect". I never intended for Glock to be part of this thread - it was just a side comment I made sarcastically. But you guys are so paranoid, ready to jump on anyone for the smallest reason.


It's hard to feel sympathy for you when you take an attitude like this. "I never said Glocks are perfect, I just used the word perfection. You're all too dumb/paranoid to know I was thinking in sarcastic tones as I typed it." Apparently, quite a few people took your post that way, so is it perhaps conceivable that it was your communication, rather than our reading comprehension and/or psychological stability, which led to the misunderstanding?



Quote:
- At the time I made the "suspicious" comment, the poll had 13 entries I believe, and EVERYONE at that point had reported 100% reliability. I viewed that as slightly suspicious only because there are many people in this forum who have reported various types of failures, and since such people are more prone to reading the forum, I kind of expected to see more of them show up in the poll earlier. Guess I was wrong there. (I see today there are 5-6 (?) failures reported). Overall the poll hasn't attracted many responders so obviously its results are not very meaningful anyway, one way or the other.


If you ask a bunch of BWM owners about their cars, would it really surprise you if the first 13 said their cars worked fine right off the lot? Yes, there are complaints about the M&P here ... if anything, you'd think the complainers would be more inclined to answer your poll. So perhaps the fact that the numbers are trending so far towards no problems should tell you that most people don't have problems. What's the problem?



Quote:
- I NEVER accused anyone of lying. How can anyone say that just because the early results of the poll looked slanted to me? All I meant was that it appeared to me that an insufficient (or incomplete) group of people had responded at that point. Obviously any poll like this that reports 100% perfection must be invalid in some way. You guys really need to cool down.


Again, what you're conveying here certainly makes me think you were accusing people of being dishonest. Right after you say you're not accusing anyone of lying, you complain that the poll results look "slanted." Doublespeak much?



Quote:
- As I stated at least twice in this thread, I've been burned by a defective S&W 4006 sample that had problems the factory could not resolve. The situation was not dissimilar from today - a new model, just out on market for a short time, etc. You guys out there who just say "stop whining and just buy the thing" obviously haven't had to deal with something like that. Today when I read of all these types of FTF's in the M&P's it certainly makes me think twice. But as I said, I'm loyal to S&W, and because of that am willing to consider taking the plunge again with another auto. But I would be foolish not to at least do some research first.


Personally, I couldn't care less whether you buy one or not. And yes, it would be foolish not to do some research. Getting your panties in a bunch and arguing with people, calling them paranoid, accusing them of "slanting" poll results ... none of these strike me as sincere market research. Pollsters don't get into arguments with the people they're polling.



I'm genuinely sympathetic that you had a lemon 4006. I still don't see how that relates to the discussion at hand, though, and simply seems like another little hand grenade you want to throw on the discussion over and over.
ToddG is offline  
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #45
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 942
I already posted on this thread early on...still waiting to be contacted so that Wheel can mail me his Glock!!



I'm sorry that this post got so inflammatory...and we probably all do need to cool down a bit. I think the results of the poll, while a relatively small sample, are fairly accurate.



Wheel has mentioned a couple of times about being a "new" model...Is two years of production and a growing number of sales considered new? I don't have numbers to support the improved sales...you can research it if you want...I just know that many dealers can't keep them in stock. I think that it is tested and proven dependable at this point. The only model that still may fall into the "new" category is the .45 and now the 45mid-sized...but I wouldn't consider the .45 to be new or untested either. That's all I wanted to say I guess.
longhuntr74 is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Smith & Wesson MP Forum > Polls


Search tags for this page
are m&p 40 shields dependable
,
are m&p sights on out of the box
,
can i.shoot.m&p shield out of box
,
is the m & p shield reliable
,

kkm barrel glock

,
m&p 40 reliable out of box
,
m&p 9 fs poll forums
,

m&p out of the box

,
m&p shield
,

m&p shield accuracy out of the box

,
mp shield out of the box
,

shooting m&p pro

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M&P not reliable - Suggestions? march MP Talk 30 March 6th, 2011 02:04 PM
40 Compact, overall, is it reliable Mathias Jones MP Compact Pistols 25 February 6th, 2010 08:21 AM
How reliable is your M&Pc tonysoprano MP Compact Pistols 29 August 26th, 2009 06:43 PM
MP now deemed reliable!! Necritan MP Talk 5 March 18th, 2008 06:18 PM
What 9mm ammo is most reliable in your M&P? Xfactor Polls 6 January 2nd, 2008 02:30 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.