9mm Carbine - MP-Pistol Forum

9mm Carbine

This is a discussion on 9mm Carbine within the Rifles forums, part of the Armory category; I got a Hi Point 995TS 9 mm carbine. The gun snobs might look down on these, but I find it fun, it shoots damn ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Armory > Rifles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2016, 11:31 AM   #1
Member
 
MadJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 60
9mm Carbine

I got a Hi Point 995TS 9 mm carbine. The gun snobs might look down on these, but I find it fun, it shoots damn near anything you can throw in it and shoots pretty damn accurately. These carbines are also made on .40 S&W (4095TS), .45 ACP (4595TS, 9+1 rounds) and the newly released.380 ACP (3895TS). This makes it easier to get a carbine in the same caliber as you pistols, if you want to stay in one caliber, as I did to go with my M&P 9c. While these aren't as nice and refined as a Kel-Tec SUB2000 or Beretta CX4 Storm, but these are less than half the price of those and other pistol caliber carbines.

I wanted a long gun, but my budget said I couldn't afford one. I wanted something that can shoot a relatively inexpensive ammunition, so I could spend more time plinking. Finally I wanted something I could still used as a home defense gun. I came across the Hi Point Carbines and though big, fat, ugly things, but with a pretty cool premise for a long gun, a pistol caliber long gun, good for longer distances than the standard pistols and best of all, reasonably priced!

I ended up getting the 995TSFG, which is the basic carbine with the Target Stock and Fore Grip. With the carbine, I got the Pro Pack, which includes two spare magazines and a two magazine clip that screws to the butt stock. For looks, I got the clamp on Muzzle break/Compensator.


Hi Point 995TS described above, shown with my AIM Sports Sub-compact Flashlight.

As for how it performed, It shot well with a mix of brands and types of ammunition, FMJ ball, JHP, brass case, aluminum case, 124 grain,115 grain, standard and +P. Out of that I had two FTFs, both with 115 grain American Eagle Aluminum case FMJ. Upon closer inspection, there where spotty contact points on the feed ramp. I polished the feed ramp working from 320, to 600, to 800 then finished with 1500 grit wet/dry papers. While working the feed ramp, I noticed several noticeable peeks and valleys from the machine marks. These cleaned up very nicely and so far appear to feed with no more issues.

Accuracy wise, it shot very tight at 25 yards. I had a target board setup on a cheap wire frame. After I got zeroed at 25 yards, I went to shoot the 50 yard targets and I hit the upper arm of the target stand and blew it completely off. This caused the targets to flap around. All I could do was shoot the paper, which I hit very easily. I was running out of time and I just left the broken target stand at the range, as it would take too long to wait on the range to go cold and retrieve it. As it was, I didn't get to zero at 50 yards as planned.

The previous zeroing was to see how accurate it could be with the stock iron sight, which for what I was able to do was pretty good. I say this, because I just got in a Primary Arms Classic 30MM Red Dot Sight (GEN II) and a bipod. I also have a full length aluminum Picatinny top rail, an aluminum bottom Picatinny rail (both made by Longshot Mfg.). I also have a set of Magpul MBUS Gen2 sights on the way, which will be absolute cowitnessed with the red dot, but folded down when not in use.

Yes the capacity of these guns are only 10+1 rounds, but this was don to keep manufacturing costs down and keep them 50 state (well 49 state, unless you outfit it with a magazine bullet button in Comunist-fornia). ProMag makes a 15 round magazine, but I don't need to go into their quality.

These aren't bad rifles, considering their price. The feed damn near anything (sometimes with feed ramp polishing, as with mine) and are pretty accurate, for a pistol caliber. If your into Mall Guns or just a fancy play toy, there are a few people and small companies that make gun specific accessories, aside from the universal Picatinny or Weaver mount accessories.

I'll be updating this as my mods come along, in the meantime, I've got a red dot and bipod to mount.
MadJack is offline  
Old January 12th, 2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Member
 
Rado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 273
I am looking at the 9mm model myself,, the 95 TS, To go w/my 9mm pistols On the Hi Point forums the guys there LOVE it! 99% of the reviews are good, not so much with their pistols! Also Manufactures Spec say do not field strip till 1500 round s :O and it shoots right on.......The down side is that the magazine is only 10 rounds! As you know Pro Mag make a 15 rounder but it VOIDs the warranty believe it or not :O Enjoy your new toy Ill be picking mine up soon unless I find a Old Ruger 9mm Carbine
Rado is offline  
Old January 12th, 2016, 01:30 PM   #3
Member
 
goodguy62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 105
And from my pal, Mr. nutnfncy, comes this pretty awesome review of the Hi-Point 995, from a few years ago....

Impressive!

Hi-Point 995 testing: Trench Warfare Drill by Nutnfancy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouqWxI9oLG8
goodguy62 is offline  
 
Old January 12th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #4
Member
 
ElevenBravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SWVA
Posts: 469
Its ugly as hell, but... the BG wont know what caliber or make of weapon stopped the attack.

Id like to have one myself, it would be nice if they started making them with M&P mag options! One in 40 would be awesome, I can run my primary ammo with the same mags...

Many tend to under rate or over rate a pistol caliber carbine.. They have a unique place, not sure I know what it is... but it doesnt stop my fascination with them!

EB
ElevenBravo is offline  
Old January 12th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #5
G56
Site Staff
 
G56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 8,919
Us (We?) gun snobs turn up our noses at the Hi-Points, they are one UGLY, HOMELY pieces of cheap crap, but at the same time they are an incredibly stout pistols that will take more abuse than our fancy expensive pistols.

I'm speaking of the destructive testing done about 5 years ago by Iraqveteran8888 on You Tube, they intentionally tried to blow one up and couldn't! I can say with confidence that 99% of the pistols on the market wouldn't even begin to survive the torture tests they put it through.

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test

https://youtu.be/AbvvurXmAmg

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test

If you haven't seen this, WATCH IT!

Further down the line...Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT https://youtu.be/2FoWpog5KU4

Last edited by G56; January 12th, 2016 at 03:09 PM.
G56 is offline  
Old January 12th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Member
 
MadJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 60
Rado, I've been doing quite a bit of my research over on the Hi Point Firearms Forum, so I'm quite familiar with their love for these ugly brutes. I know about the ProMag clause in the warranty, I don't see me using them.

goodguy62, I've watched a few of Nutnfancy's videos. The trench warfare course looked like a fun run.

11B, I considered either the .40 and the .45, but went with the 9mm, because I already have a 9mm and the ammo is cheaper. To me, a pistol caliber carbine sits in the intermediate pistol range to shorter rifle ranges, i.e., 7 yards to 100 yards. YMMV.

G56, the Hi Point is the BUFFs (Big Ugly Fat F***ers) of the gun world. that video was pretty cool. Like seeing how tough things can really be. As they sad, they're very utilitarian.

I got the Red dot and Bipod temporarily mounted on the plastic Weaver rails. I'll be remounting them when I get the aluminum Picatinny rails later this week. I'm not real happy with the proximity of the fully vertical foregrip to the bipod mount. I was already looking at a slightly angled foregrip, such as the Mako AG44-S. I haven't cared for the Magpul AFG2 or similar foregrips. I moved the flashlight to the plastic under barrel Weaver rail. I wouldn't mount anything else on that rail, as it's not very stable and is warped.


Last edited by MadJack; January 12th, 2016 at 03:53 PM.
MadJack is offline  
Old January 12th, 2016, 05:19 PM   #7
Member
 
Rado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 273
I*It is a butt ugly gun BUTT "O I think that what makes it so cool looking
Rado is offline  
Old January 12th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #8
Member
 
Rado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
Rado, I've been doing quite a bit of my research over on the Hi Point Firearms Forum, so I'm quite familiar with their love for these ugly brutes. I know about the ProMag clause in the warranty, I don't see me using them.

goodguy62, I've watched a few of Nutnfancy's videos. The trench warfare course looked like a fun run.

11B, I considered either the .40 and the .45, but went with the 9mm, because I already have a 9mm and the ammo is cheaper. To me, a pistol caliber carbine sits in the intermediate pistol range to shorter rifle ranges, i.e., 7 yards to 100 yards. YMMV.

G56, the Hi Point is the BUFFs (Big Ugly Fat F***ers) of the gun world. that video was pretty cool. Like seeing how tough things can really be. As they sad, they're very utilitarian.

I got the Red dot and Bipod temporarily mounted on the plastic Weaver rails. I'll be remounting them when I get the aluminum Picatinny rails later this week. I'm not real happy with the proximity of the fully vertical foregrip to the bipod mount. I was already looking at a slightly angled foregrip, such as the Mako AG44-S. I haven't cared for the Magpul AFG2 or similar foregrips. I moved the flashlight to the plastic under barrel Weaver rail. I wouldn't mount anything else on that rail, as it's not very stable and is warped.

That looks great!
Rado is offline  
Old January 13th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: WA
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
I got a Hi Point 995TS 9 mm carbine. The gun snobs might look down on these...
I can assure you that is not true. There is no "might" about it.

I understand getting one of these if it's all your budget can handle. What I don't understand is if your budget is tight why are you spending hundreds on accessories? You have to be approaching the cost of an entry level AR15.

What are "Mall Guns"?
BennyRayRiddle is offline  
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:24 AM   #10
Member
 
Rado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyRayRiddle View Post
I can assure you that is not true. There is no "might" about it.

I understand getting one of these if it's all your budget can handle. What I don't understand is if your budget is tight why are you spending hundreds on accessories? You have to be approaching the cost of an entry level AR15.

What are "Mall Guns"?
MY 2 cents on the cost! If you want to spend 1k$ do it if not don't! I plan on getting the 995 as well! Why, Low Cost for a toy to punch paper! Under 300$ and the tri pod /red dot less the 200$ Where are you going to find a AR dressed for say 500$ Some of us just can not see spending 1k$ for a target rifle! Like the OP I buy what I want and find cool vs what the snobs have to say! That goes for anything I buy!
My buddy just picked up a Windham AR and that was 800+$
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/#axzz3xExbrDQQ
Rado is offline  
Old January 14th, 2016, 11:28 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: WA
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado View Post
MY 2 cents on the cost! If you want to spend 1k$ do it if not don't! I plan on getting the 995 as well! Why, Low Cost for a toy to punch paper! Under 300$ and the tri pod /red dot less the 200$ Where are you going to find a AR dressed for say 500$ Some of us just can not see spending 1k$ for a target rifle! Like the OP I buy what I want and find cool vs what the snobs have to say! That goes for anything I buy!
My buddy just picked up a Windham AR and that was 800+$
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/#axzz3xExbrDQQ
PSA, for example, has a carbine kit (everything but the lower) for $390 and stripped lowers for $90. This won't be "dressed", but I shot irons for a couple years before buying an Aimpoint.

Unlike your wants (cheap range toy), Mr. Jack wanted a carbine to do double duty as a HD weapon. I understand getting the Hi-Point for HD if that's all your budget can handle. I understand getting an entry-level AR for HD if that's all your budget can handle. What I'm struggling to understand is why play dress-up with a Hi-Point for the price of an entry-level AR for HD?


I still don't know what "Mall Guns" are.
BennyRayRiddle is offline  
Old January 15th, 2016, 03:20 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Texas40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 639
9mm Carbine

I have one in 40 its an older model Ive had about 10 yrs. not as Tacticool as the newer model and not done up like yours in AR wanta be garb but the dam thing will shoot anything and the 15 rd extended mag makes the "fun" last a little longer.

For the $$ you cant beat the things for a fun gun.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas40 is offline  
Old January 15th, 2016, 08:41 AM   #13
Member
 
Rado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyRayRiddle View Post
PSA, for example, has a carbine kit (everything but the lower) for $390 and stripped lowers for $90. This won't be "dressed", but I shot irons for a couple years before buying an Aimpoint.

Unlike your wants (cheap range toy), Mr. Jack wanted a carbine to do double duty as a HD weapon. I understand getting the Hi-Point for HD if that's all your budget can handle. I understand getting an entry-level AR for HD if that's all your budget can handle. What I'm struggling to understand is why play dress-up with a Hi-Point for the price of an entry-level AR for HD?


I still don't know what "Mall Guns" are.
I agree with you why spend a ton on $$$$ for a cheap gun ! Like why put a 500$ scope on a 200$ rifle lol , But if that what turns someone on then more power to them! I usually buy Higher end guns myself, I have 2 Browning's, A 2000.00 $+ Beretta Shotgun fully engraved ! Plus other higehr $$$$ guns so in my case it is not about the $$$ amount.It is about what I want!. but I think the Hi Point is a ugly but cool gun Reviews are good. Will I add 500$ in add on's ? Nope ! It will not be for HD as I have other options for that .. I am also looking into buy a Windham AR made here in Maine http://www.windhamweaponry.com/#axzz3xExbrDQQ

Last edited by Rado; January 15th, 2016 at 08:55 AM.
Rado is offline  
Old January 15th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #14
Member
 
MadJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyRayRiddle View Post
I still don't know what "Mall Guns" are.




The primary use for this one is for plinking. It is more toy than any other use. Due to the caliber, with the +P HSTs, it makes for a hot little SD/HD rifle. I'll have about as much in accessories, maybe a little more, as i do in the gun itself. It is a fun gun and will be more fun to shoot, once it's outfitted.
MadJack is offline  
Old January 16th, 2016, 05:55 AM   #15
Member
 
Rado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post




The primary use for this one is for plinking. It is more toy than any other use. Due to the caliber, with the +P HSTs, it makes for a hot little SD/HD rifle. I'll have about as much in accessories, maybe a little more, as i do in the gun itself. It is a fun gun and will be more fun to shoot, once it's outfitted.
Love it Now that would be real cool to see in real life Spend what you want to make it yours is my 2 cents! Just ask any one who rides a Motorcycle how much they spend on chrome and other goodies . But for some reason the Hi Point is something I will buy just because ,Like you I buy what I want not what other people think or say! Is the Hi Point a Browning ? Nope But still one cool gun
Enjoy your new baby and please post up pics of your add ons ... Thanks
Rich
Rado is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Armory > Rifles


Search tags for this page

9mm carbine forum

,

m&p 9 magazine in a rifle or carbine

,

m&p pistol carbine

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mid vs carbine luke2-2008 MP Rifles 8 October 24th, 2012 02:59 AM
My New Carbine **pic** GaryXD MP Rifles 14 April 28th, 2010 01:36 PM
WTS: Kel-Tec Sub 2000 Carbine (IN) 5shot Classifieds 0 April 7th, 2009 09:09 AM
Vickers Tactical Level 1 Carbine, Subgun, and Pistol Caliber Carbine Class – Aug 2-3, 2008 Va_Dinger Training 0 May 18th, 2008 05:39 AM
M&P Carbine bbbdvan81 MP Talk 5 March 22nd, 2008 01:53 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.