Classic Revolvers - MP-Pistol Forum

Classic Revolvers

This is a discussion on Classic Revolvers within the Wheelguns forums, part of the Armory category; Just curious... If you could have just one of S&W's good ol' Classic Revolvers, what would it be? For me, personally, it would be a ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Armory > Wheelguns

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern VA
Posts: 199
Just curious...

If you could have just one of S&W's good ol' Classic Revolvers, what would it be? For me, personally, it would be a Model 27 nickel finish with a 4" barrel. I was just over at the S&W website and just looking over them and noticed that they dont get the fanfare they deserve.
Like A Boss is offline  
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like A Boss' post='280096' date='Dec 8 2010, 08:47 PM
Just curious...

If you could have just one of S&W's good ol' Classic Revolvers, what would it be? For me, personally, it would be a Model 27 nickel finish with a 4" barrel. I was just over at the S&W website and just looking over them and noticed that they dont get the fanfare they deserve.
Man, there are so many good choices, but I would have to have the good old modle 36 in blue steel.



Sgt. H
Sgt.H is offline  
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like A Boss' post='280096' date='Dec 9 2010, 02:47 AM
Just curious...

If you could have just one of S&W's good ol' Classic Revolvers, what would it be? For me, personally, it would be a Model 27 nickel finish with a 4" barrel. I was just over at the S&W website and just looking over them and noticed that they dont get the fanfare they deserve.




yeah i keep drooling over there selection. At first i wanted the 38 bodyguard as a back up or when i don't feel like lugging the m&p 9c around. Then i found out the cylinder release is on top and you really can't get a moon clip conversion. Then i started looking at the classic s&w's such as the model 36 snub nose then i saw how much there charging and how much they weigh 19.5 oz. Next i looked at the m&p 360 because i thought it would be cool to have a m&p auto and a m&p wheel gun. The price on the 360 is even higher then the model 36 but it weighs even less 13.3 oz! So after all that i figured i wanted the model 637 because it is reasonable priced and they also have a rebate going on and weighs in at 15 oz. How is the model 637 different then the model 36 and same for the m&p 360. Different sights/metals and crazy price tags? My father had a 686 and that will forever be my favorite s&w but does that mean i'm going out and buying one, No!



m&p 360($869!) -





model 637($549) -



model 36 old school($729) -
deaheat is offline  
 
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaheat' post='280100' date='Dec 8 2010, 09:09 PM
yeah i keep drooling over there selection. At first i wanted the 38 bodyguard as a back up or when i don't feel like lugging the m&p 9c around. Then i found out the cylinder release is on top and you really can't get a moon clip conversion. Then i started looking at the classic s&w's such as the model 36 snub nose then i saw how much there charging and how much they weigh 19.5 oz. Next i looked at the m&p 360 because i thought it would be cool to have a m&p auto and a m&p wheel gun. The price on the 360 is even higher then the model 36 but it weighs even less 13.3 oz! So after all that i figured i wanted the model 637 because it is reasonable priced and they also have a rebate going on and weighs in at 15 oz. How is the model 637 different then the model 36 and same for the m&p 360. Different sights/metals and crazy price tags? My father had a 686 and that will forever be my favorite s&w but does that mean i'm going out and buying one, No!



m&p 360($869!) -





model 637($549) -



model 36 old school($729) -
The 637 is an airwight version of the Chiefs special. You are right about the price tags, it all has to do with the materials they use to manufacture them. The 637 is a great little wheel gun that you can stick in your pocket when it gets really hot outside. Years ago Smith had the modle 37 which was the airwight version of the 36 with a blue finish. The 6 in 637 means stainles finish. What I love about the old Smith revolvers was that it seemed the more you shot them the smoother they got.



Sgt. H
Sgt.H is offline  
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.H' post='280107' date='Dec 9 2010, 03:31 AM
The 637 is an airwight version of the Chiefs special. You are right about the price tags, it all has to do with the materials they use to manufacture them. The 637 is a great little wheel gun that you can stick in your pocket when it gets really hot outside. Years ago Smith had the modle 37 which was the airwight version of the 36 with a blue finish. The 6 in 637 means stainles finish. What I love about the old Smith revolvers was that it seemed the more you shot them the smoother they got.



Sgt. H


Might have to put some money down on one before the end of the month! Offer valid only on qualifying NEW Smith & Wesson small (J) frame revolvers purchased between August 2 and December 31, 2010. Eligible model numbers include: 36, 40, 42, 340, 360, 437, 637, 638, 642, 640LS, 60, 60LS, 640, 649, 442, 438, 340PD, 360PD, 637CT, 638CT, 642CT, M&P340CT. Offer Excludes BODYGUARDŽ38 revolvers. Offer Excludes Small (J) Frame Revolvers chambered in .22LR, .22 MagnumŽ, .32 H&R MagnumŽ and .327 Federal Magnum.





deaheat is offline  
Old December 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
KRWeiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,110
Since the cylinder and grip are the hardest parts to conceal, I would prefer the Model 60 in 3". Stronger frame, higher velocity, longer sight radius, less recoil... what's not to like. The lighter J-frame wheel guns recoils too much for regular practice, and as they say practice make perfect (or better).



When it comes to the Classic S&W I'd have to go with the Model 27 also. I like mine with the 6 1/2" barrel, it just looks like a classic.
KRWeiss is offline  
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRWeiss' post='280122' date='Dec 9 2010, 04:46 AM
Since the cylinder and grip are the hardest parts to conceal, I would prefer the Model 60 in 3". Stronger frame, higher velocity, longer sight radius, less recoil... what's not to like. The lighter J-frame wheel guns recoils too much for regular practice, and as they say practice make perfect (or better).



When it comes to the Classic S&W I'd have to go with the Model 27 also. I like mine with the 6 1/2" barrel, it just looks like a classic.


I dont even see the model 60 on there web site
deaheat is offline  
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #8
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 21
I just bought a Bodyguard 38 for my wife to carry. She loves it. Lots of muzzle flash and a loud bang every time. It'll scare the bad guy to death even if she doesn't hit 'em. BTW, she's an excellent shot.

Personally, I lust after a stainless Model 60 with Houge grips. Nothing fancy, just a classic revolver in every sense. I'll have one someday ...
CORattler is offline  
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 422
686 pre-lock

629 pre-lock

625 pre-lock



Hmmm, I see a pattern.



xxx, pre-lock.
beastfrog is offline  
Old December 9th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #10
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Detroit Area, MI
Posts: 32
[attachment=2055:IMG_0044.JPG]



Already bought mine, 642, pre-lock:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.JPG (14.1 KB, 11 views)
djdarrin is offline  
Old December 14th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
KRWeiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaheat' post='280124' date='Dec 8 2010, 09:34 PM
I dont even see the model 60 on there web site
I don't think they're trying to hide it.

S&W Model 60



The updated, lighter version is this M&P360 in 3" but the recoil from these Scandium framed models can be brutal with full house .357 Magnum loads.
KRWeiss is offline  
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #12
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
From the current classic section of the catalog? Maybe a M24 and somehow end up with a 4" barrel.



But I'd really like a 3 1/2" .357 Magnum or 38/44; either one.
Poohgyrr is offline  
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 306
Had a model 28 4" I liked allot but then in the mid 80's I got a 686 6" and wish I still had it. If I ever get another one I think I would look for a 4" maybe but I loved mine just the way it was so I just don't know..
Corndog is offline  
Old April 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Lineman73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beautiful Downtown Monroe, GA
Posts: 532
I would have to choose a Model 1950 4" Target .44 Spl. There is nothing like sending those huge chunks of lead downrange from a sweet shooting, low recoil masterpiece of the gun making art!!
Lineman73 is offline  
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:40 AM   #15
Member
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 122
Don't know if it's part of the "Classic" line-up, but for me it's a Model 19 Combat Magnum, blue with a four inch barrel. Had one and let it get away. If anybody has one or knows of one that needs a good home, please drop old Donn a PM.
Donn is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Armory > Wheelguns


Search tags for this page

smith & wesson model 19-3 moon clip

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
9mm revolvers tatters Wheelguns 25 May 25th, 2015 09:24 AM
M&P Revolvers M&P Freak MP Talk 7 September 25th, 2012 08:12 AM
M&P Revolvers KRWeiss MP Revolvers 3 September 11th, 2009 06:31 PM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.