S&W J Frame - MP-Pistol Forum

S&W J Frame

This is a discussion on S&W J Frame within the Wheelguns forums, part of the Armory category; I am no expert in the J Frame so forgive me if this is a dumb question. If I see a kydex holster for a ...


Go Back   MP-Pistol Forum > Armory > Wheelguns

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 73
S&W J Frame

I am no expert in the J Frame so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

If I see a kydex holster for a S&W 442. Will it fit a 638? Are those guns identical with respect to the portion that actually contacts the holster? if it were a leather holster I wouldnt worry about it since a small difference wouldnt matter but with a fitted kydex holster I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks
230grain is offline  
Old January 26th, 2016, 05:19 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 465
The holster that fits the 442 should fit the 638 just fine. The contact areas around the barrel, trigger guard and grip are identical on moth revolvers. It the hostler uses some kind of retention mechanism across the hammer shroud area, there might be some variation between the two.

Last edited by gglass; January 26th, 2016 at 05:22 AM.
gglass is offline  
Old January 26th, 2016, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230grain View Post
I am no expert in the J Frame so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

If I see a kydex holster for a S&W 442. Will it fit a 638? Are those guns identical with respect to the portion that actually contacts the holster? if it were a leather holster I wouldnt worry about it since a small difference wouldnt matter but with a fitted kydex holster I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks
Yes.
Rick M is offline  
 
Old January 27th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bill in Tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,335
It will. I'm really into J Frames right now. I've got one, but I want more!
Bill in Tx is offline  
Old January 31st, 2016, 01:57 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ginzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Port, FL.
Posts: 878
So the bug bit you to? Well, well............ And I have a 649-3 also

Hey 230grain, hows this for a pocket kydex holster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Tx View Post
It will. I'm really into J Frames right now. I've got one, but I want more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0006-006.JPG (883.4 KB, 18 views)
ginzo is offline  
Old February 1st, 2016, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bill in Tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginzo View Post
So the bug bit you to? Well, well............ And I have a 649-3 also

Hey 230grain, hows this for a pocket kydex holster?
Hey ginzo! Yep, it did. A friend of mine passed away and left me a Model 637-2. He had put the Apex spring kit in it so it's a great little pocket gun. Now I want a Model 60 Pro Series and a Model 640 Pro Series, so I guess I'm infected!
Bill in Tx is offline  
Old February 1st, 2016, 11:56 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Tx View Post
Hey ginzo! Yep, it did. A friend of mine passed away and left me a Model 637-2. He had put the Apex spring kit in it so it's a great little pocket gun. Now I want a Model 60 Pro Series and a Model 640 Pro Series, so I guess I'm infected!

The old Model 60's aren't too shabby either.

Rick M is offline  
Old February 1st, 2016, 03:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
ginzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Port, FL.
Posts: 878
Bill,

Sorry you had to come across your 1st that way. A friend he was. Of course before its all over you may come to curse him!!

I don't know whats next on my revo list, but I ALWAYS keep an eye out for the J's.

If it hadn't crossed your view, I recently acquired an XDS .45 3.3" which is currently in fashion for the time being. Sweet little shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Tx View Post
Hey ginzo! Yep, it did. A friend of mine passed away and left me a Model 637-2. He had put the Apex spring kit in it so it's a great little pocket gun. Now I want a Model 60 Pro Series and a Model 640 Pro Series, so I guess I'm infected!
ginzo is offline  
Old February 1st, 2016, 03:39 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
ginzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Port, FL.
Posts: 878
Should have quoted this at the same time, THAT is a nice piece!!!

Is that a bobbed hammer? Bought? Made? I love the bobbed hammer i put on my Speed six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
The old Model 60's aren't too shabby either.

ginzo is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:25 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginzo View Post
Should have quoted this at the same time, THAT is a nice piece!!!

Is that a bobbed hammer? Bought? Made? I love the bobbed hammer i put on my Speed six.
It came with the smooth, wide trigger, and bobbed, serrated top hammer when I bought it used.

I believe they were installed along with the very nice action job the gun has.

It was quite a carry piece "back in the day."

I think it must have been a retirement gift, as it was pretty much in unfired condition when I got it. I also have the original grips that came on it.

Last edited by Rick M; February 2nd, 2016 at 08:28 AM.
Rick M is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:41 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bill in Tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
The old Model 60's aren't too shabby either.

No they aren't Rick! Nice engraving! What kind of stocks are those? I just ordered some Super Rosewood boot grips from Altamont.
Bill in Tx is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:44 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bill in Tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginzo View Post
Bill,

Sorry you had to come across your 1st that way. A friend he was. Of course before its all over you may come to curse him!!

I don't know whats next on my revo list, but I ALWAYS keep an eye out for the J's.

If it hadn't crossed your view, I recently acquired an XDS .45 3.3" which is currently in fashion for the time being. Sweet little shooter.
Thanks Ginzo! He was a great fiend and shooting buddy. He actually left me 3 pieces. The other two were another .40 caliber Shield and an older Tarsus PT92 in 9mm.

Congrats on the XDS and the 649-3!
Bill in Tx is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:39 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Tx View Post
No they aren't Rick! Nice engraving! What kind of stocks are those? I just ordered some Super Rosewood boot grips from Altamont.
They're S&W boot grips that I bought several years ago.

Correct for the vintage of this one would be the originals with a Tyler "T" Grip.

Glad you like it, Sir!
Rick M is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2016, 06:06 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Bill in Tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
They're S&W boot grips that I bought several years ago.

Correct for the vintage of this one would be the originals with a Tyler "T" Grip.

Glad you like it, Sir!
That might correct for the vintage Rick, but I think those stocks look awesome!
Bill in Tx is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2016, 07:53 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Rick M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Tx View Post
That might correct for the vintage Rick, but I think those stocks look awesome!
Thank you Sir; they're the same as a set that came on a Talo Model 60 I had a few years ago. They're take-offs that I found in a LGS/hadware store.

Last edited by Rick M; February 3rd, 2016 at 07:57 PM.
Rick M is offline  
Reply

  MP-Pistol Forum > Armory > Wheelguns


Search tags for this page

j frome forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I get 40 frame or 9mm frame? / real advantages tactical vs standard length? Jimmyjames4900 MP Full Size Pistols 9 January 27th, 2014 08:16 AM
Frame tool is way too tight into the frame cowboy1964 MP Compact Pistols 24 April 1st, 2010 11:07 PM
FS M&P 45 Frame cracking in area of the frame tool? SgtBFGunner MP Pistol Tech Help 12 February 19th, 2010 02:33 AM
are the frame and internals of the frame the same... glockdan MP Full Size Pistols 3 August 31st, 2009 02:16 AM
M&P 9L frame stuff87 MP Full Size Pistols 3 June 24th, 2008 09:07 AM



Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2012 MP-Pistol. All rights reserved.
MP-Pistol is a M&P pistol enthusiast forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. of Springfield, MA.